For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Here we are at the close of yet another year.  We covered a lot of ground this year . . . both physically and literally.  We took the kids on the longest road trip thus far.  We entered our most challenging homeschool year yet.  I said goodbye to MeMama and, for the very first time in my entire life, no longer have living grandparents.  There were new adventures, like gymnastics and a little book business.  It even snowed the likes of which I can't remember, even as a child.  This was a hard year.  But it was a good year.  And, so, looking back . . .

1.  I'd already decided this year would be defined by MeMama's 100th birthday.  But the Lord called her home on February 7, a mere 50 days before her 100th birthday.  I have to say I was just so shocked.  I didn't see that one coming.  Goodness, I miss her.  She was the best!


2.  Quique, Seth's brother from another mother and country, was in the states for a business trip and spent the weekend with us.  We had such a good time, and the children experienced a glimpse into another culture.

3.  Our oldest nephew, Avery, graduated high school last spring.  He was also chosen by his Youth Pastor to share a testimony and God's Word during their annual youth Sunday worship service.  I'm so thankful we had the opportunity to be there with him that day.

4.  Hannah Kate celebrated six years of dance and Ellie two years of dance at this year's dance recital.

5.  We celebrated the end of our second homeschool year.  That also meant I had a 7th grader, 4th grader and kindergartener.  I must admit this current year of homeschool has been our most challenging.  I'm so thankful that I put a little pen to those thoughts earlier this fall so I can look back and remember God's continued faithfulness through it.

6.  Earlier this year I unexpectedly became a book lady.  I'm a consultant with Usborne Books.  I had the best time with that during the summer and connected with several families who were going through what we went through several years ago when Mason was diagnosed with dyslexia.  It was such a joy to talk to those moms, listen to their stories and send them a few books for their struggling and emerging readers.  I've not had the time since homeschooling began again to devote to my little business, but I'm hoping to pick it back up again in the spring.

7.  We spent a very lazy few days at the beach.  And, right now, I could use a few lazy days in my life!

8.  Seth and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary.  The kids were along for the ride the year and were there only for the cotton candy!

9.  I'd been wanting to go to the Ark Encounter in Kentucky so we made a big road trip out of it.  We had the best time!
 We made lots of stops along the way, including:

Nashville, The National Corvette Museum, Mammoth Cave National Park and the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Park

Louisville, The National Slugger Museum and Factory and The Brown Hotel

The Creation Museum

The Ark Encounter

Cumberland Falls and Kentucky Fried Chicken

Chattanooga

10.  We gave Mason tickets to an Astros baseball game for his birthday.  That game ended up being the weekend immediately following the flooded aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.  That was a fun weekend!

11.  The Lord opened up the door for Ellie and me to attend Bible Study Fellowship again this year.  I had completed the studies of Acts of the Apostles, Genesis, Matthew, Moses and Revelation, serving as a children's leader during two of those studies.  We missed the book of John last year.  So not only did we get to go back for this year's study of Romans, but I was also called back into leadership.  That has been one of God's biggest and best gifts to me this year.  And such a sweet surprise!

12.  Ellie began kindergarten this fall.  I was so nervous about this, especially teaching her to read.  I'm still not sure how I feel about it or how it's going.  My aunt asked me this question just yesterday.  And I just don't know.  Ellie was very disappointed that she wasn't able to read after the first day.  And then she was no longer interested.  But we kept plugging away, and I kept telling her that everything we were doing was going to help her read and that she would, indeed, be reading one day.  Her response?  "Yeah, well, I don't believe it."  Oh, that girl.  Stay tuned.
And, in case you missed it, we had lots of Ellie-isms this year, including:

Growing up to be a fairy and guts on Hannah Kate

Nationwide on Your Side and walking like a chicken

Pit hair, popcorn and cups (but not the drinking kind)

Hanging out her second story window and yelling at Mason

Jaw knockers

4:30AM alarms

13.  And, speaking of Ellie, she traded in her ballet and tap shoes for the balance beam and uneven bars.  We entered the world of gymnastics this year, but we've done so very slowly.  She takes classes at The Little Gym, but she informed me on her very first day that, "This is okay for now, but you know I'm going to need a bigger gym for LSU."  Sigh.

14.  Seth, Mason and PawPaw took a guided fishing trip and came back with quite a haul.  I think they all really enjoyed that trip.  They are still talking about it.

15.  Hannah Kate is now double digits.  We celebrated her 10th birthday in a big way!

16.  And . . . I can hardly believe it . . . but my team is playing in the Rose Bowl on Monday . . . just one game away from the National Championship game!  This has been the most fun football season in a very long time!  Seth told my brother last night that he's mellowed out but that I've become a bit obnoxious when it comes to football.  Whateves.  Seriously though, I can hardly believe it!

17.  And then there was that day it snowed!  I mean, IT REALLY SNOWED, and it was something to write home about!

And here we are.  Closing one chapter and getting ready to write another.  I've no idea what's in store for 2018.  I do know it will most likely be defined by a milestone birthday, but that's about it.  I'm looking forward to a new chapter, a blank page and maybe a fork in the road of our journey.  

We'll see . . .

But one thing I know to be absolute truth:

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance."  
~Psalm 65:11