For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Everybody needs and Ellie in their life!

I absolutely love nutcrackers.  I have a little collection that I decorate the piano room with during the holiday season.  Now.  I realize that most people have a love or hate relationship with nutcrackers.  They either love them (like I do).  Or hate them (I can't imagine!).  There is no in-between.  

Ellie hates nutcrackers.  I should've figured this out over the last couple of years, but I didn't.  Until now.

Three weeks ago the girls and I were in Hobby Lobby.  I needed two things, and I knew exactly where they were.  I was not in the mood to browse, and I was not interested in wasting time.  So we made tracks through the store so I could quickly pick up what I needed.  Ellie was walking a bit in front of me, and Hannah Kate was behind me.  I was in my own little world because I was determined that we were going to go in and then get out as quickly as possible.  I was honestly not paying very much attention to the girls.  So I barely heard it, and I almost missed it . . . I even stopped dead in my tracks for a minute to be sure I heard what I thought I heard . . . and I know I did . . .

One of the big display shelves in the middle of the aisle was covered with nutcrackers.  I mean, you couldn't miss it.  There were nutcrackers EVERYWHERE.  Under her breath, Ellie muttered (almost like she didn't mean to say it aloud, like it was a thought that was not meant to leave her mind):

Ugh.  Jaw knockers.  Those things creep me out.

Y'all.  I nearly died.  I was all like "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" and she was all like she had no clue what I was talking about.  I turned around and asked Hannah Kate, "DID YOU HEAR WHAT SHE SAID?!"  And Hannah Kate just looked at me like I was a crazy lady (she has a point . . .).

Nutcrackers.

Jaw knockers.

Needless to say, my little collection is now displayed in the piano room.  And she won't even go in there!  I've really been wanting a life-sized nutcracker, too, and I found the perfect one the other day.  But I couldn't bring myself to get it because I was afraid it would scar my kid for life.     

I'm quite certain I will never look at nutcrackers the same way ever again.  I will always see a jaw knocker instead.