For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
We're looking ahead with 2019-colored glasses on!  And I'm pretty excited about this new year.  I've no idea what it holds for us, but we're dreaming already of the days and months ahead.
I feel like 2018 was one of our "quieter" years.  I knew from the very beginning that it would be defined by two pretty big birthdays so that's mostly what I think of regarding the past year.  But here's our top eighteen:

1.  I currently don't have a whole lot to say about this because we just played in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, only we really didn't play.  But it was a pretty big year for my Dawgs.  We started out in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game against Bama.  And we put up a fight (until the last quarter) and were even beating them most of the game.  That was one of the most exciting football games I think I've ever watched.  So I was really looking forward to the 2018 season.  Besides losing to LSU (I told Seth they obviously just don't like playing in the state of Louisiana), the season was everything I wanted it to be.  Almost.  Losing to Bama in the SEC Championship game (for the second time in the same year) after leading them most of the game was a bummer, for sure.  But, regardless, it was still an exciting year for Dawg fans.

2.  It snowed in January!  It wasn't a particularly great snow, but it snowed.  And for the second time in less than two months in south Louisiana!

3.  Hannah Kate was chosen by her ballet teacher as Student of the Month in February at her dance studio.  She has really worked hard in ballet during the past two years, even taking an extra ballet class, and she was so excited when she received this award.  A few months ago we strung some photo clip string lights in her bedroom.  She carefully chose the pictures to display.  One of the pictures she chose was the one of her and Mrs. Katherine when she received her award.  (I mean, she didn't string up a picture of me and her together).  

4.  And then I crested the hill and started my way down.  40 years old!  Almost a year in, I can honestly say it's not as bad as I thought it would be.  I think it's a lot better actually!

5.  And here we are dancing again.  We celebrated Hannah Kate's seventh year dancing.  I was so proud of her at the recital.  I especially loved her ballet dance.

6.  But here we are NOT dancing.  Ellie gave up her dancing shoes for the balance beam and bars.  She finished her first year of gymnastics and had her little gymnastics showcase.  We also changed gyms once we realized how serious she is about gymnastics so now she's at the "big" gym (as opposed to The Little Gym).

7.  And then this was the year of baseball.  Oh my goodness, so much baseball.  Mason played on the Westside Allstar team and went to the World Series.  It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  I mean that figuratively AND literally.  But I'm grateful he was given the experience because I know it's something he'll remember for the rest of his life.  I learned how to be a Baseball Mom.  Almost.

8.  And then we had a teenager in the house.  Like I've said before, I don't recommend turning 40 and your first born entering the teenage years IN THE SAME YEAR!

9.  We celebrated Ellie's 6th birthday with a "real" birthday party.  She had begged and begged for a party.  She's always had a party for her birthday.  But was was meaning a Pinterest-type party.  I gave up on those several years ago, and she couldn't remember her last one.  So it was definitely time for a party.  She planned it all, and then I planned it because I'm just not the carnival provider she thought I was.  But it ended up being perfect in her eyes!

10.  I didn't blog about this, but Mason got a new smile.  He got braces in July.  As of right now, things are progressing nicely, and he will probably get them off this time next year.

11.  Seth and I celebrated 18 years of marriage.

12.  As summer came to a close, it marked a transition of sorts in ministry.  Last year's VBS was my last as Director.  I will still lead the music and worship rally this year, but He called me out of directing the program.  And after three years of serving as a Children's Leader at Bible Study Fellowship, the Lord called me to serve as the Children's Supervisor.

13.  The new school year brought a lot of firsts and lasts.  Mason is an 8th grader, his last in "middle school."  Hannah Kate is a 5th grader, her last in "elementary school."  And Ellie is a 1st grader, her first year in "real" school with a "real" grade.  But, most significantly to me, this August marked the first time in over 13 years that I spend a few hours of some of my days just me, myself and I.  All three children are attending Sequitur Classical Academy now.  I average about eight hours a week now without children in my care (because two of my mornings are spent at BSF so I have two left).

14.  And then there was that time I was gifted tickets in the Walmart parking lot to LSU's home-opening football game.  My guys actually made it to two games this season.

15.  One of the biggest highlights of my year was the girls' trip to New York City with my bestie to celebrate our birthdays.  It was THE BEST weekend and so, so good for the soul!  Every time we travel somewhere, I purchase an ornament for our Christmas tree.  So that was the only souvenir I planned on coming back home with.  We shopped in several stores for an ornament, but I didn't buy one because I honestly couldn't find one I liked.  They were all too . . . touristy, for lack of a better word.  I know.  Imagine that.  I really regretted my decision when I got back home and even shopped online for a NYC ornament.  But I figured that was just plain silly so I cut my losses and let it go.  And then my bestie sent me a Christmas gift.  Let's just say it's THE BEST NYC Christmas ornament ever!  And this is just one of a million reasons why we've been besties for 20 years!
 
16.  For the first time since the summer Ellie was born, we did not make a summer trip to Georgia.  It was heart-breaking, really.  So Thanksgiving was especially special this year.  It was so good to just be home.

17.  We celebrated Hannah Kate's 11th birthday.  I mean, this year she will be 12 years old, which means next year . . . she'll be a teenager.

18.  When we went to Georgia for Thanksgiving, a sweet friend took family pictures for us.  We bonded a couple of years ago over boys named Mason, books and dyslexia.  She is a very talented photographer, and I'd admired her work these past two years.  It was a joy to finally meet her in person and an even greater joy when she sent me the pictures she captured of my favorite people.  We took the pictures on my grandparents' old property so they're all the more special to me.










"But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You; let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them; let those also who love Your name be joyful in You.  For You, O LORD, will bless the righteous; with favor You will surround him as with a shield."  ~Psalm 5:11-12