For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
The highlight of my fall (and, hands down, one of the biggest highlights of the year!) was a trip last month to New York City with my bestie!  This weekend was forty years in the making and two years in the planning!  It all started a couple of years ago when we were bemoaning how quickly our 40th birthday was approaching.  We decided right then and there to celebrate BIG and immediately picked our destination.  At the beginning of this year, we booked our flights, hotel and event tickets and then began the long wait until our much anticipated weekend arrived.
We carefully planned every detail of this trip (as in, not only did we have a list, but we had a SPREADSHEET that detailed places, times, menus, how many minutes it would take to walk, how many blocks, which subway line . . .), but I was still anxious that "something" somewhere along the way just wouldn't work out.  I even dreamed that I missed my flight, so much so that I thought it might become a reality.  The week before the trip, we doubled up on school work just to make sure we wouldn't be behind when I got back.  So, honestly, I was already very tired.  The thought of having to leave my house at 3:00AM to drive to the airport didn't help either.  

Since I had such an early flight, I didn't anticipate any problems at the New Orleans airport.  I figured I'd just walk right on in and to my gate.  Once I saw how full the parking garage was at not quite 5:00AM, I knew it wouldn't be that simple.  I totally didn't realize it was a holiday weekend (Columbus Day), and most universities and a lot of schools were on fall break.  So that meant a heavier than usual travel weekend.  I still wasn't too worried.  Until I walked in and saw the line for security. It was the longest I'd ever seen at the NOLA airport.  And it wasn't moving.  At all.  My flight was scheduled to leave at 6:00, but at 5:25 I nearly accepted the fact that I wasn't going to make it.  Right about that time, they announced they were "bringing the dogs in" to speed the line up.  I finally made it through the line, scanned my ticket and had my bags on the conveyor belt to make the final pass through security.  I was the very next person in line standing in front of the scanner and waiting on them to pass me through when . . . wait for it . . . the power went out.  It was 5:40.  From where I was standing, I could even see my gate.

The power came back on, but the security computers and scanners were a little slow.  I finally get through security and to my gate.  It was 5:50.  The doors were locked and no one was boarding.  Delta's computers were still down following the power outage.  At this point, I was just glad I wasn't going to miss my flight.  And I was scheduled to land about an hour before Barbara so I wasn't too worried about that either.  My flight miraculously left on time and several hours later, we Uber-ed to our hotel, checked our bags and started walking.  Our first stop was Chelsea Market and then a walk on the High Line.
By the time we made it to Chelsea Market, I was starving.  There were so many fantastic restaurants and cafes that it really was hard to choose.  We finally decided to eat at Sarabeth's Bakery, and it did not disappoint!  As a matter of fact, this was one of my favorite meals!  We both had the special - smashed avocado on a roasted corn polenta cake topped with bacon, pickled onions and tomatoes.

Next time, I'm definitely eating here!  The lobster rolls were calling my name!

After we walked the High Line, we went back to our hotel to get settled into our room and then headed to Times Square and the Gershwin Theatre for Wicked.  Oh my goodness . . . I've seen several plays on Broadway, but this one, well, I think it's definitely my favorite (besides Les Mis)!  It was so so SO very good!  The set build and design, theatrics, singing, all of it!  
By the time we made it back to the hotel, we were tired (we're forty, after all).  Even though we were in the city for only half a day, we logged over 20,000 steps that afternoon and evening!  Mason asked me before I left if we were going to "stay up all night."  Um, that's a definite NO.  Besides, we had another big day planned.

So the 911 museum and memorial were at the top of my "to do" list.  We didn't do most of your typical NYC touristy sites because we both had already done all of that on previous trips.  I'd been a couple of times before, but I had not been since 911.  We got up early the next morning and took the subway (yes, we nearly mastered the subway system while we were there!) downtown.  We spent the entire next morning at the 911 site.  There's no way in the world I could ever put into words this experience.  It was a beautiful, somber tribute to those men and women who lost their lives that day and the heroes who came after.  I still remember exactly where I was and exactly what I was doing that day when I first heard that a plane crashed into the north tower.  I will never forget that day.  Or the days after when all I did on my lunch breaks and after work was watching news footage from the wreckage and aftermath.  The memorial was quite stunning and such a beautiful use of the space that had once been marked by terror and destruction.  We took our time walking through the museum and taking it all in.  By the time we were finished, I felt the weight of it all.  So heavy.  But such a wonderful experience!  
Here are some of my favorite images.  The skyline was forever changed on that day.  My first trips to New York have those iconic towers in the background.  It's still so surreal to me that they are no longer there.
So much of those buildings was loving preserved, including the "survivors' stairs" that allowed many to escape the burning towers in time.

This quote is from Virgil's The Aeneid.  That was one of the first books Mason and I read this school year so this wall was meaningful to me for several reasons.  Behind this wall are the remains of many who perished that day.  The letters in this quote were forged from pieces of steel recovered from the World Trade Center. 
I saw this firetruck on the news a thousand times.  But to see it in person?  Speechless.
Yes, this is a "real" picture I took with my phone!
 And . . . everyday . . . they place roses on the names of those who have a birthday on that particular day.
We grabbed Mexican for lunch and found us the perfect view.
After lunch we started walking again.  We stopped here, too.
We then took a ride on the Staten Island ferry.  It's free!  And the best part . . .

. . . it passes right in front of Lady Liberty!  We'd both already been to Liberty Island so we didn't make another trip over there.  But no trip to NYC is complete without the Statue!  So the Staten Island ferry fit the bill. 
After we ferried back to Manhattan, we took a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.
We walked and walked and walked . . . through China Town . . .
and Little Italy.  We were hungry for supper so we stopped at this little Italian cafe.
My pasta was delicious (shrimp and asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes), but the salad and bread were my favorites!
After supper we took the subway back up to the east side and had dessert at Serendipity!
Oh, yes.  Yes, I did!  Frozen hot chocolate.  And it was delish!  (Yes, I was tired.  It was late (for a 40 year old), and we had another day of nearly 25,000 steps!)
The next morning we headed to brunch at Tavern on the Green.  Our hotel was in the best location in Midtown.  We were just a few blocks from Times Square and right in between Madison Avenue and 5th Avenue.  So we walked up 5th Avenue to Central Park.  But first we stopped for Starbuck's.  In Trump Tower.  (I didn't realize they still have armed guards here!)
And then on to Tavern on the Green for our birthday brunch.  Barbara made these reservations months ago and forgot she told them it was our birthday.  Needless to say, when they brought out the birthday cake and candle, I almost told them they had the wrong table!  I'm still insisting it isn't my birthday, and Barbara is like YES IT IS!  I finally caught on.
But before cake, we had the best French toast . . . and my frittata was just so good!
After we ate, we spent the rest of the morning meandering through the Park.  We stopped at the Plaza Hotel after we left Central Park.
And then we did a little shopping!  (Window shopping, that is).
We headed back to the hotel for a little rest (have I mentioned we are 40?).  We had tickets that evening to Top of the Rock.  We both wanted a skyline view, but we also both had been to the Empire State Building.  So we decided to do Top of the Rock this time.  We purchased our tickets in advance so it was what it was . . . a very misty, overcast evening.  When we presented our tickets, the attendant even tried to convince us to "trade them in" for another time within the next year because there was "zero visibility."  We knew we wouldn't be back within a year so we went to the top anyway.  We were expecting "zero visibility" to mean exactly that so we were actually pleasantly surprised when there was a bit of a view.
I mean, not bad for zero visibility . . . right?!?
I mean, where's everybody at?!
We walked back over to Times Square because when in New York . . .
After another day of over 20,000 steps, we were done.  The next morning we Uber-ed back to the airport and flew back to our people.

Two things.

First of all, I would absolutely LOVE to live in New York for a year (with my people, of course!).  I mean, we could live in an apartment and take the subway everywhere we didn't walk to.  A year wouldn't even be enough time to do and see everything, but it would be such fun!  And Christmas time would be the best!  When I was a little girl, I always wanted to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in person.  I really do love everything about the city.  (And then I'd probably want to live in Wyoming for a year after that!). Yes, I am very serious.

Second of all, this was the first time ever that I took time away for a girls' weekend, and I hope it won't be the last!  I think we need to go ahead and pick our next destination!  Or, we could just go back to the city that never sleeps again (after all, there were a couple of things on our spreadsheet that we just ran out of time for!).

Oh, and last (but definitely not least) of all, this girl right here is my tribe!  So thankful for her and a friendship that spans twenty years and several states.