For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
July 29, 2000.

1 | You are my only one, my someone!
When you love someone
you'll do anything
you'll do all the crazy things that you can't explain

you'll shoot the moon
put out the sun
when you love someone


you'll deny the truth
believe a lie
they'll be times that you'll believe you can really fly
when you love someone


when you love someone
you feel it deep inside
and nothing else could ever change your mind

when you want someone
when you need someone
when you love someone


when you love someone
you'll sacrifice
you'd give it everything you got
and you won't think twice
you'd risk it all
no matter what may come


when you love someone
you'll shoot the moon
put out the sun
when you love someone
(Bryan Adams)

2 | Our love story is really a tale of two states, Georgia and Louisiana.  But during our 18 years of marriage, we've lived in two states, Louisiana and Mississippi.

3 | And the three best things about these last 18 years are Mason, Hannah Kate and Ellie. We are outnumbered, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I mean, can you believe they are ours?!  (Well, not OURS exactly, but entrusted to us.)  I love watching you be a Daddy to our children.  They cannot wait for you to walk through the door at the end of the day.  And they really don't like it at all when you're working out of town.  You are definitely the "fun" parent!

4 | During our fourth year of marriage, I became pregnant, and we welcomed Mason Louis.  It's so hard to remember what life was like before the children.  And we had almost five years together before Mason was born!  I remember going to the Blockbuster on Friday nights and renting enough movies to last the weekend.  I still have our old Blockbuster rental card.

5 | We've called five different places home over the past 18 years.  I loved our first apartment.  It was the perfect little spot for us, all 750 square feet of it!  We lived there for two years before moving to a bigger apartment.  We weren't there long before we bought our first house.  I loved that house because we worked so hard to make it our own.  It's funny to me that we've brought home a baby to each of the three houses we've owned.  Mason came home to that one.  I loved our neighborhood in Madison, and Hannah Kate came home there.  And then we built our house and brought Ellie home.

6 | During our sixth year of marriage, we made the decision for you to accept a new job within the company and move to Mississippi.  And then, as soon as we got there (or so it seemed), we were getting ready to move back because of another job change.

7 | In 2007 we got the surprise of all our years of marriage when I became pregnant with Hannah Kate.  We had just moved to Mississippi, and that wasn't part of the plan.  I cried. And I was scared to tell you.  But then I was so very sick that I absolutely had to tell you.  Mason met you at the door wearing his "big brother" shirt when you came home from work one afternoon.  I was so nervous that day.  I think you were pretty excited though.  And our Hannah Kate ended up being one of the best blessings of our marriage!

8 | This one is good.  So good.  LSU and GA have met up on the football field eight times since we've been married.  As of right now, the record is 4-4.  In 2003 and 2011, LSU beat GA in the SEC Championship game.  In 2005, GA beat LSU in the SEC Championship game.  The last time they played was in Athens in 2013.  GA won.  Now.  They also played against each other in 1999 when we were dating.  Georgia won that game 23-22.  So, technically, GA has the winning record in this match up during all the years we've been together.  However, I'm going to throw that one out and call it even.  But not. for. long.  My Dawgs are coming to town on October 13.  Your Tiger cats should be thankful they have home field advantage.  Because they're going to need it and then some!  I know you're optimistic.  That's nice.  But it's also wishful thinking on your part.  Something tells me this football season is going to be FUN.  (Need I remind you . . . you said you'd rather play and lose than not play at all.  Well, get ready.)

9 | During our ninth year of marriage, we built our house.  It was fun, but it was A LOT of work.  Nearly everyone discouraged us from building, saying that it would cause a lot of disagreements between us.  But I honestly can't remember even the first disagreement during the entire process.

10 | During our 18 years of marriage, we have visited and/or vacationed in ten different states . . . Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama and Kentucky.  Of course, I didn't include Georgia and Louisiana since those are our "home" states.  I also didn't include Idaho, Missouri or Ohio because we just cut the corners of those states, and I don't think that counts.  (I also didn't include Jamaica because I really needed this list to be ten!)  It's time to add another state or two . . . where do you want to go next?!  I have a list . . . (Washington DC, but Ellie needs to be a bit older.  And the Grand Canyon . . . and Boston and Philly.  Definitely back to Glacier and then over to Mt. Rushmore.)
 
11 | And then, during our eleventh year of marriage, we had the joy of expecting our Ellie girl and welcoming her into our family.  It was so much fun anticipating the birth of a baby for nine months, not knowing if she was an Elizabeth or if he was an Elijah.

12 | Ellie is six years old, and she will begin 1st grade this year.  In twelve years, she will be 18 years old, and she will graduate high school.  TWELVE YEARS.  We have only 12 years left of raising children . . . (And that will also be our 30th wedding anniversary . . . so we should do it up big!  I'm thinking Santorini and the Greek Isles!  You know how badly I want to go to London and then to Paris.  I had that on the calendar for our 20th.  But I just have to tour Italy and the Amalfi coast.  Maybe for our 25th.  And you still owe me a trip to Charleston.  But I'm dying to go to Nantucket.  And the Cloister at Sea Island.  I think you would love that!)

13 | . . . which brings me to the next point.  Mason just turned 13 years old.  THIRTEEN.  We are entering new, unchartered (for us) territory in this parenting gig.  The teenage years.  And, just like that, we have a teenager in the house.  But since we have only 12 more years of our children being under the age of 18 and because we've been parents for 13 years now . . . well, that means we're over halfway through!  So, somehow, that makes me feel like we really can do this thing!

Also, in 2013 Mason was baptized!  He accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior on Christmas Eve 2014, but it wasn't until January that he was baptized.

And we took our first trip to Disney in 2013, too!

14 | There are two things that happened in 2014 that I will NEVER forget.  Ellie broke her arm.  So far, she's the only one of the children to have a broken bone.  And, of course, she'd have to go all out.  That night in the hospital with her was the longest night EVER.  And then the surgery.  And she was only 20 months old.  

Later that year, Mason graduated from private therapy.  Oh, those days of therapy were, I think, some of the hardest, longest days in our 18 years.  Or at least they were for me.
  
15 | One of my most favorite memories with you was our trip out west.  We celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary with a road trip through Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.  I'd never seen the Rocky Mountains before or that part of the country at all.  I'm so glad I got to do that with you!  I'm ready to do it again!  Somehow you keep going to Wyoming without me!

16 | It seems that 2016 was quite a big year for us.  There were so many celebrations that year.  Mason killed his first deer.  We did a little reno project in the house so Ellie could have her own bedroom, and the girls didn't have to share anymore.  Hannah Kate accepted Jesus as her Lord and Savior, and she was baptized!  We took our second trip to Disney (I mean, seriously, don't you think it's about time to go back?!).  And, last but certainly not least, you crested the hill and started making your way down, and I managed to surprise you with a very small surprise 40th birthday party.  Whew!  No wonder I'm tired!

17 | Oh, this one was easy!  In 2017, we experienced something that we never had in our 17 years of marriage . . . SNOW in LOUISIANA!  (And, just in case you're wondering, our current street address adds up to the number 17, too.)
      
18 | On this day 18 years ago, I thee wed.  I promised you forever, and I meant it!  We've certainly not done anything different or better than anyone else.  The Lord has so tenderly and graciously held us together with His grace, love, patience, forgiveness and peace.  I always wanted to be a princess in a fairy tale, wanted nothing more than to be a wife and a momma.  I know there are so many times that I don't do either well.  But you are my prince, my knight in shining armor, the one my heart loves, the one the Lord sent me to Louisiana for all those years ago.  You made my dreams come true!  I never in a MILLION YEARS saw that one coming! Our story is my favorite!  Thank you for loving me and fighting for US in the midst of the hard and messy and sad and happy and oh so good . . . ALL of it.  You have been my adventure of a lifetime, and we aren't finished yet.  I wouldn't want to do this with anyone else.  I love you so!

And, just for kicks . . .

Baby last night was hands down

One of the best nights

That I've had no doubt
Between the bottle of wine
And the look in your eyes and the Marvin Gaye
Then we danced in the dark under September stars in the pourin' rain
And I know that I can't ever tell you enough

That all I need in this life is your crazy love

If I never get to see the Northern lights
Or if I never get to see the Eiffel Tower at night
Oh if all I got is your hand in my hand
Baby I could die a happy man
Baby and that red dress brings me to my knees

Oh but that black dress makes it hard to breathe

You're a saint, you're a goddess, the cutest, the hottest, a masterpiece
It's too good to be true, nothing better than you
In my wildest dreams
I don't need no vacation, no fancy destination

Baby you're my great escape

We could stay at home, listen to the radio
Or dance around the fireplace
And if I never get to build my mansion in Georgia

Or drive a sports car up the coast of California

Well if all I got is your hand in my hand
Baby I could die a happy man
MTY LTT

"My beloved is mine, and I am his."  ~Song of Solomon 2:16