For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Last week we celebrated Hannah Kate's 11th birthday.  She took my breath away the day she was born.  And she still does even now, eleven years later.
It's hard to remember life before she was born.  I feel like she is the one who is always there and always has been through some of the more difficult seasons of parenting and schooling.  She's been the one by my side.  She doesn't say much, doesn't require anything.  She is just there.  On the days when I couldn't be strong, she was.  She still is.

Hannah Kate is one of the most compassionate people I know.  She's fiercely loyal, especially when it comes to her brother.  She's quiet and reserved.  She's studious and serious.  She's kind to everyone.  She wants everyone to be happy, often times at the expense of her own.  

She loves to draw and write.  I can't keep enough books for her.  Her favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs, and her favorite color is turquoise.  She refuses to wear jeans.  She is a daddy's girl through and through.  I'm quite certain he is her favorite person on this earth, followed closely by her brother.

We had a little mini celebration on her birthday last week.  Seth was out of town so we waited until the weekend to celebrate again.

Somehow "our" place has turned into "their" place.  I'm quite certain it's only because of the "free" cotton candy that's brought out at the end of your meal.
Since it was Seth's birthday, too, we ended up with two pieces of chocolate cake!
Hannah Kate's birth date was scheduled.  Her original due date was December 10.  Seth suggested she be born on his birthday, December 6.  But I told him I thought she needed her "own" birth date.  Besides, my doctor didn't want to wait that long anyway.  So she was born on December 4.  But I know they both wish they shared the same birth date.
After supper we went to the movie theater to see How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  It was the perfect little family birthday celebration night!