For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
You know what I don't recommend?  Turning 40 and your first born entering the teenage years IN THE SAME YEAR!  What in the world was I thinking?!  I mean, obviously I wasn't thinking about that 13 years ago.  But here we are.

As of last Friday, July 13, we have a teenager in the house!  And, yes, two cakes were necessary because we had VBS, and I wanted enough to feed the youth class. 
Since Mason's birthday was also the last day of VBS, we didn't really get to do anything fun with him so his MawMaw took him to a movie.  But on Saturday we asked him what he wanted to do, and somehow we ended up at a go-cart race track and arcade type place.  Honestly, I would rather be at the ballpark than an arcade, but Seth and the kids love these kinds of places.  I was just along for the ride because it was what Mason wanted to do.






Because we have been so busy with Allstars and then VBS, I really haven't had a whole lot of time to process the fact that my first born is now a TEENAGER.  I can tell you, however, that I've spent a lot of time thinking how I'm not ready for this, how ill-equipped I feel to parent a teenager.  I feel like I can nail the toddler years, even potty training, sleepless nights and the terrible twos and threes.  I feel like I can do that like nobody's business.  But a TEENAGER?  

It's not lost on me that many of my closer friends in this stage of my life have already parented teenagers.  I've watched them from afar the past couple of years.  Several of them have even told me how AWESOME teenagers are.  Yes, those were their exact words.  I chaperoned youth camp two years ago, and I decided right then and there that wasn't my thing.  I mean, I've had some awesome teenagers in my life, but none of them lived under my roof and called me, "Mom."  But here we are. 
I still remember my very first thought 13 years ago when I sat in that hospital bed holding my newborn son after everyone had left for the night.  I looked down into his squishy little face and thought, "This is it.  He's not going home at the end of the day.  He's with me.  He will always be with me.  I am home to him."  Now THAT was an overwhelming thought.  But I resolved right then and there that I would do whatever it took for my son. It would be the two of us (and Seth, of course) against the world.  In that moment, it seemed like the teenage years were years and years and years away.  And, yet, here we are.

I'll tell you one thing.  I sure am glad I get to do this teenager thing first with Mason!  Because no matter how bad I mess it up (and I guarantee you, I will!), he'll still be right there with me.  He's such a forgiving soul, and he's had to forgive me a lot!  We've been through a lot, he and I.  We've had some good times.  Some really good times.  We've had some tough times.  But I can't help but think the best is yet to come.  I mean, it's been good.  Really good.  But somehow it just keeps getting better with him.
This little tow-headed, big blue eyed child has grown into a man-child right before my very eyes.  He's probably a centimeter taller than I am now.  We have to go clothes and shoe shopping in the men's department.  He's pretty opinionated (gets it honest and not from me).  He's easy-going most of the time, but he does not like to be late at all and is very aware of "what time it is" (gets it honest and totally from me).  He talks from the moment he wakes up until the time his head hits the pillow whether anyone is listening or not.  He's constantly beating or drumming or making annoying noises.  He is fiercely loyal.  He marches to the beat of his own drum and doesn't particularly care that he might be going a bit out of formation.  His courage and determination are unparalleled, even in the hardest of things.  On the days I want to give up, that's exactly why I don't.  Because he doesn't.
This kid has grown so much over the past year or so (and not just physically).  Sometimes all I can do is stare in amazement and wonder.  Has he really been entrusted to me?  Has it really been 13 years?  Where has the time gone?  I often get caught up in missing the "little years."  But I don't want to do that anymore because I want to enjoy the "big years," the right now in the teenage years.

I'm sure there will be some hard things ahead.  But we'll do it just like we've done everything else.  Together.