For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
I just have to say . . . I'm really glad February is almost over!  No reason in particular.  I'm just thinking it's time to move on.  It's been a busy month.  It's been a good month.  There's nothing that stands out as extraordinary except just a whole lot of ordinary days learning and mommying and homeschooling and studying and watching these children of mine grow up before my very eyes.  Because I hope I never forget how extraordinary that truly is!

So here we go. 

WHAT WE'RE EATING THIS WEEK
Tonight we had salads and loaded baked potatoes.  And they were so pretty . . . all the colors of the rainbow on my plate and in my bowl!  I should've taken a picture.  But I didn't.  Last night we had chicken spaghetti, and Monday night we had red beans and rice because I needed a crockpot meal, and that was next in the rotation.  Last weekend we had cedar plank grilled redfish.  I should've taken a picture of that, too!  But I didn't.  Tomorrow night it will be BBQ sliders.

WHAT I'M REMINISCING ABOUT
I've thought a lot this month about my family.  The family I was born into.  And my friends.  My Georgia friends.  Facebook is hard.  Remember back at the beginning of the month when they declared it to be "friend day," and you could click a button and see a slideshow of your "moments with friends."  I didn't click on the button.  Yeah, I had to step away from that for awhile.  I see pictures in my newsfeed and think, "I should've been there."  Or I read snippets of days and get-togethers and parties and such and think, "I should've been there."  I can't believe I've been gone nearly 16 years.  It seems like only yesterday yet so long ago.  I always wonder what it would be like if I lived there.  Where would I live?  Would I work, or would I be a stay-at-home mom?  Would I homeschool the children?  Who would my kids' friends be?  How would we spend our weekends?  Where would we go to church?  What would I do on girls' night, and who would my girls be?  I mean, I could have a mommy daughter day with my mom!  I really can't even imagine what it would be like to live there.  Not that that's a good thing or a bad thing.  I've just thought about it a lot lately.

WHAT I'M LOVING
It feels like February today!  I wore a scarf today.  Seriously.  Hannah Kate has been graphing the temperature each day this month, and, with the exception of maybe four or five days, it's been in the 70s everyday!  Don't get me wrong.  The 70s are lovely.  In April or May!  But this is February.  I was really looking forward to this "winter" because I thought it was going to be a rainy, cold one.  But it hasn't been.  My FIL even commented last weekend that he hasn't even been through half of his firewood this year and that it's the warmest winter he remembers in a long time.  But today was chilly and windy, and I loved it!

I'm also loving my BSF study in the book of Revelation and homemade blue cheese dressing and presidential election debates.  

I always love election years, regardless of the circumstances surrounding the election.  I'm just fascinated by the people, by the entire process.  I so vividly remember the presidential election when I was in 5th grade.  I was in Mrs. Williams' class, and we had a mock election in class.  We researched the candidates and the issues and elected two people in our class to be the candidates so we could have our own in-class debate.  I recorded the "debate" with the school's big ole VCR camcorder.  I know.  I'm such a nerd.  I've tried to read as much as I can about this year's election and the candidates and their families and their backgrounds, but I don't watch TV because I don't have time.  Seth has lately been DVRing the debates for me so I can go back and watch them.  I just can't get enough of it!  I know.  Nerd status.

WHAT WE'VE BEEN UP TO
Our big project this month was a little renovation.  Two weeks ago (Mardi Gras break) I switched Mason's and Hannah Kate's rooms, which meant I had to paint.  That took a couple of days, and I also spent a day painting all of the downstairs window and door casings.  I really don't want to paint ever again for the rest of my life.  But it looks like I'll be painting again in a couple of days.

Last Monday my FIL began working on Ellie's new room.  The walls went up last Monday and Tuesday.  Last Wednesday he and Seth hung sheetrock.  
And then my FIL spent a couple of days floating and taping.  Today he and a friend from church sprayed the wall so it should be ready to paint Friday afternoon.  As soon as that's done, my FIL will come back and hang the door and finish the crown and baseboards.  He has worked really hard, and we so appreciate it!  I'll be so excited once it's finished.  I don't particularly care for living in the midst of a construction project, but it hasn't been that bad.  Ellie is really excited, too.

We did take a break for a little fun.  We went to the zoo with some friends.  

In this picture, you can see only Ellie's little pig tail peeking out behind Hannah Kate.  She was in the midst of a meltdown right about this time and refused to show her face for the picture.  Kelly had scooted over behind the pole so you can't see her either.

But Ellie recovered quickly and was more than willing to pose for a picture with Baby Kelly.  She loves her some Baby Kelly.  It's not Kelly.  It's Baby Kelly.  She's even named all of her baby dolls Baby Kelly.  She walked beside Baby Kelly's stroller the whole time holding on to the side of it.

We also went on a field trip with our homeschool group to our favorite museum, the Capitol Park Museum in Baton Rouge.  It highlights Louisiana history and culture.  This is our third time to this particular museum, and I learn something new each time!  It was especially meaningful for Hannah Kate because we just a couple of weeks ago studied the Louisiana Purchase and the statehood of Louisiana in history.

WHAT I'M DREADING
We have dance pictures this weekend.  It just gets kind of crazy sometimes, and I don't particularly care for dance mom crazy.  So while I'm dreading the process, I can't wait to get the girls dressed up in their costumes and have their pictures made.  We're planning to have pictures taken with Abbie, too, this year.  So that will be special.  But.  There's a lot about it I'm not looking forward to.  I mean, now I'm responsible for not only one bun but two buns.  So we've been practicing.

And painting.  I'm dreading that, too.  But I just have to keep reminding myself that I'm almost finished.  I'm also anxious to see how this "hot, hot pink" is going to look.  Ellie is just dying to have her room painted.  Something tells me it's going to be as sassy as she is.  Here she is with her "hot, hot pink" paint sample (or dragon fruit, as Sherwin Williams calls it!).

Baseball season is just around the corner.  Mason is registered, and he was drafted to the Bandits team this year.  He's so excited about it.  But, if I'm being real, I'm kind of dreading it a little bit.  I'm just not a very good boy mom.

WHAT I'M WORKING ON
So guess what I did?  I actually sewed two of the faux Roman shades for the windows in the breakfast area!  I found the receipt from the purchase of the fabric.  It was dated February 2015.  So, one year later, we have two completed.  I still have two more to do, and I was hoping to have them finished by the end of the month, but did I mention how much painting I've been doing?!

Mason and Hannah Kate are also now both officially registered to attend Sequitur next year!  Sequitur is the classical Christian school that Mason attends on Monday and Wednesday mornings.  We then do all of his school work and projects at home.  This year they started at 5th grade.  But next year they are adding 3rd and 4th grade classes.  I have really enjoyed what I've done with Hannah Kate this year, but I think she's just going to love Sequitur, and I can't wait for her to have that opportunity and experience.  So it feels really good to have our 2016-17 school year planned out!

WHAT I'M EXCITED ABOUT
I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned this.  But I'm excited that February is almost over.  I'm excited about Ellie's new room.  I'm excited (and dreading) dance pictures this weekend.  And while I'm dreading baseball season, I'm excited because it's something Mason really loves and is looking forward to.  So I love that he's about to do something that he's really excited about.  As much as I really wanted a winter and don't look forward to the summer heat and humidity, I'm really trying to get excited about spring.

WHAT I'M WATCHING/READING
I was really hoping to spend more time this month reading.  But I've spend so much time (say it with me) PAINTING that I really haven't had time.  I'm currently reading The Distant Hours by Kate Morton, and I'm loving it!  I'm almost halfway through it, and I'm pretty anxious to find out what's going to happen so I think it's going to move quickly now.  That's the only book I've read this month, except of course the school reading that Mason and I do.  This month it's been Greek Gods.  I've honestly NEVER enjoyed Greek mythology, and it's been a very long time.  But I've actually enjoyed this book, and Mason has liked it, too.

WHAT I'M LISTENING TO
I've got nothing for this one.  Except the laughter and silliness and loudness and occasional arguing of my three children.  I'm tell you, it's non-stop all day every day!

WHAT I'M WEARING
From now on, we're just skipping this one.

WHAT I'M DOING THIS WEEKEND
Dance pictures.  And painting.  I mean, we're living on the edge over here!

WHAT I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH
This is easy.  My birthday.  The end.

WHAT ELSE IS NEW
I think we've covered it!