For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Dear Mason:

July 13, 2005.  5:49PM.  You were born.  
There are really no words that describe that moment for me.  I was in awe.  I could not believe that you were mine.  Ours.  And so our journey began, mine as your mommy.
During the first year of your life, I really had no idea what I was doing!  But day by day, I think we got the hang of it.  I loved (and still do!) you a whole lot so that made all the difference in the world.  It was you and me.  Everyday.  You were the best baby ever!  You were sleeping through the night by the time you were nine weeks old.  Your favorite time of day was when Daddy came home from work.  He would lay on the couch, and you would lay on his stomach.  Y'all would stay that way for hours.  You were so content.  You had the biggest blue eyes.  And then, before I knew it, you were ONE.
The following year was my absolute favorite with you!  We had so much fun together!  I just loved watching you explore your world and learn new things.  Your favorite activity was stickers.  I would buy you these big sticker books, and we would sit on the floor in your room while you stuck them to the pages and to yourself.  You also loved big picture books, especially ones about animals or vehicles.  It was also during this time that some really big changes came into our life.  We moved to Mississippi.  But you never knew the difference.  And we also prepared to welcome your baby sister into the world.  And then, before I knew it, you were TWO.
By this time, you were a spunky monkey!  You loved to play, especially outside.  You loved the pool.  You loved to swing.  You also loved firetrucks and garbage trucks.  And then came Hannah Kate.
At first you were a little disappointed.  You didn't realize that she would be born a baby and take awhile to "grow up" so you could play with her.  But you were immediately the very best big brother a girl could have!  You loved Hannah Kate, and you always have.  You have always been so gentle and kind with her.  You help her.  And you play so well together.  The next few months were a bit of a blur.  And then, before I knew it, you were THREE.
You were quite the cowboy.  We spent our days with more of the same.  Playing.  Learning.  Growing.  And then another big change.  We moved back to Louisiana.  We had to live with PawPaw and MawMaw for awhile, which you loved.  You were growing up so quickly.  I wanted time to slow down just a bit.  And then, before I knew it, you were FOUR.
It was during this time that we built our new house and finally moved in.  It was also during this time that I realized I was not ready for what was coming next.  It came all too quickly.  And then, before I knew it, you were FIVE.
And when you are five, that means it's time to go to kindergarten.  I was not ready for kindergarten.  But you were.  It made you feel like such a big boy to go to school.  You loved riding the bus.  You loved your teacher.  You had so much fun in kindergarten.  I, on the other hand, waited anxiously each day for you to get home.  I didn't like you being away from me.  I mean, you'd been with me everyday for over five years.  As much as I didn't want you to, you were growing up.  And then, before I knew it, you were SIX.  
There's no denying it.  You are my firstborn.  You will always be my baby.  But you are a big boy now.  You learned how to read this year.  Your favorite subject in 1st grade was math.  You absolutely love the water . . . the pool, the water park and especially the ocean.  The beach is your favorite place to go.  And you have a great fascination with sharks.  You have always been, and continue to be, such a wonderful big brother.  Hannah Kate is so blessed to have you as her brother.  You are still the pickiest eater ever in the whole entire world!  If I could change one thing about you, that's what I would change.  But then I guess you wouldn't really be Mason.  You love going to Sunday School and Vacation Bible School.  You also love to go fishing.  You've had several new adventures this year with salt water fishing.  And you also love to go hunting with Daddy.  You still have those big blue eyes.  You are full of life and energy.  You are also really silly at times.  You love to dance.  You still want to be a dentist when you grow up.  Your favorite color is, and always has been, blue.  You are such a sweet boy.  So many days I find myself wishing we could go back to those earlier days when it was just the two of us . . . just so I could experience one of those days just one more time.  But that isn't possible.


And now . . . you are SEVEN!  I so look forward to what this next year brings with you!
Happy 7th Birthday to my Mason!