For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
She's been looking forward to this day for quite awhile.  Apparently, there's just something about turning six that screams FIRST GRADE, and she's ready to be a grown up now.  I always said that July 4 would be a more appropriate birth date for this little fire cracker, but we celebrated six years old today.
She wanted an ice cream cake.  I, however, in the busy-ness of VBS last week forgot to order a cake for her.  So this morning I went to Dairy Queen hoping there would be at least one ice cream cake in the freezer we could grab.  And there was!  It was perfect - piped in pink and sprinkled with pink glitter sugar.  The lady who does the writing was even there so she wrote "Happy Birthday Ellie" for us and even dotted the "i" with a heart.  Ellie was so excited.

But then we got home.  Because we live so far out and away from everything, I always take care of all my errands in one day.  It makes for a long day, but it's worth it.  Since I didn't go grocery shopping last week, I had a lot to do today, and my tahoe was full of groceries and other things.  I unloaded everything, prepped my veggies before putting them in the frig, prepped all my meats for the freezer, started tomorrow night's supper (yes, because Ellie pick tacos for supper tonight), put another load of laundry on and sat down to some summer reading with Mason.  

And then I remembered the cake.

The ice cream cake.

That I had totally forgotten about and left on the passenger's seat of my tahoe.  On a day when the heat index was 104 degrees.

I ran outside totally expecting the worst.  The cake was a bit sad looking, and the top ring of piped icing had slid all the way down to the bottom.  The pretty pink glittery sprinkles were no longer pretty sprinkles.  It was sad, but it wasn't the worst that could've happened (especially since I also this morning had my truck detailed after three months of baseball dirt, and I would've been pretty upset had I found my seat covered in melted ice cream).

Nonetheless she was still happy and blew out her candles.  And it tasted the same!  Poor girl just has a really tired Momma right now who can't think straight.  I mean, I even woke up this morning with a list of names on my mind that I'm pretty sure I forgot to give invitations to her party to! 

The past few years we have opted for "experiences" for the kids' birthdays instead of parties.  (Because, honestly, I'm over parties.  I blame Pinterest.)  But this year they really wanted parties, Ellie especially.  She hasn't had a "real" party since she was two years old, and, of course, she doesn't remember it.  So a party with her little friends is this Saturday.  But we went ahead and opened gifts today because she could hardly stand it.

One of Mimi's gifts to her is a big pink flamingo float.  She opened it and immediately pitched a fit. 
And then she's pointing at Hannah Kate and laughing, "I have a pink flamingo float, and you don't!"  (Yeah, she's nothing but humble, compassionate and kind.)
But Mimi was prepared for Ellie's shenanigans.  That's why part of Mason's birthday gift was two chicken floats, one for him and one for Hannah Kate.  (I can't make this stuff up!)
Lately Ellie has really been into necklaces, but the only one she had was a souvenir necklace with a dolphin on it that she got at a gift shop at the beach a couple of years ago.  Now she has her first "real" necklace with an "E" on the charm. 
Ellie loves her accessories.  She also loves smelly lotions, scented lip glosses, nail polish and bath stuff.  She carries some kind of bag or purse with her everywhere she goes, and you just never know what you're going to find in there!  (See the souvenir necklace?!)
She loves to pose, dance, sing, jump and run.  She's constantly asking me to take her picture, and she loves to scroll through the pictures on my phone and computer.  (There's the souvenir necklace again!)  
Ellie was the perfect baby!  But I can honestly say her personality blossomed into something I totally wasn't expecting, and it seems like it only gets bigger with each passing day!  (That necklace . . .)
As much as she loves her accessories and beauty products, the one thing she does not like is brushing her hair!  She also doesn't like wearing her hair up.  She prefers it all hanging down in her face.  She also takes her bows out of her hair as soon as I'm out of sight.
She asks questions all day long, talks CONSTANTLY, loves to learn and thinks she has to write "E's" all over everything, including the furniture and the carpet in my tahoe.  She is, for the most part, fearless.  She laughs deep and hard and long until she bursts out into the cutest belly giggle that will have you giggling right along with her.  Her big sister is the apple of her eye.  Her big brother she aggravates to no end (and vice versa), but I know she loves him.  Besides tacos, she loves scrambled eggs the most.  She's a Mama's girl and still curls up in my lap at the end of the day.

Everyday with her is an adventure.  The past six years have been so much fun and yet maddening sometimes all at the same time!  But, man, do I look forward to each new day with her!  She is a constant source of joy!