For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
You know, Valentine's Day can be real interesting if you live in Louisiana.  It often times coincides with Mardi Gras.  That's what happened this year.  Valentine's Day was also Ash Wednesday.  I was looking through my Valentine's Day posts from previous years.  It coincided with Mardi Gras the final year the big kids were in public school.  They had a Mardi Gras parade and party.  Instead of sending Valentine's, we were asked to send Mardi Gras beads.  So it's Valentine's Day in Louisiana only if it isn't Mardi Gras.  Oh, I just have to laugh.  

We've already established that Valentine's Day really isn't my favorite "holiday."  But I do try each year to make it a special little family day for us.  We typically use our wedding china and eat in the dining room twice a year - on our anniversary and Valentine's Day.  And, of course, Ellie is all, "Why are we eating in here?  Why are we using these plates?"  That's what my children are going to remember the most about Valentine's Day growing up . . . the day Momma pulled out the real china, put their chocolate milk in stemmed crystal and let them sit on the chairs in the dining room without the seat being covered by a towel!  I usually buy flowers for the centerpiece, but I decided not to do that this year and instead used Grandmother's candelabra.  Then Seth came home from work and surprised me with flowers!  (Not to mention I was sporting four-day hair and was filthy because I'd been rummaging around in the attic as part of my annual spring clean . . . also known as the day my kids are nervous about what exactly I'm donating . . . what a sight to come home to!)  

And this is what Valentine's Day at home looks like for a party of five!    
Earlier in the day I did a little science experiment with the kids.  We gathered up different liquids and made predictions as to how the little Valentine's conversation hearts would react in each liquid.
I even made them complete a chart with their predictions.  I couldn't help but laugh though.  When I asked them how they thought the candy would react in water, Ellie was so excited to say, "Explode!"  She'd recently heard Hannah Kate explain why she thought the candy would fizz and explode in Coke, and she couldn't wait her turn.  Let's just say Ellie and I haven't yet got to chemistry in our kindergarten curriculum yet! 
They really did enjoy doing this.  (Yes.  Ellie is wearing her "gymnastics" outfit.)  
Hannah Kate and Ellie were pretty serious about making their observations.

After we finished the science experiment, the kids made strawberry chocolate chip cookies.



I rarely ever bake because I just don't have the time in my life right now to fool with exact measurements, and my people aren't big sweet eaters anyway so I end up eating all of it, which is never a good idea.  Besides, it's not often that anything I bake turns out like it's supposed to.  But I'd say these little pink cookies are pretty cute.
I really wanted to try cooking lobster this year, but I remembered my advice to myself a few years ago.  Pasta.  Or pizza.  So we had linguine carbonara, a salad and crusty French bread.  I even baked twice in the same day (what is wrong with me?!).  We had these little molten lava cakes for dessert, complete with a little heart-shaped sprinkle of powdered sugar.
I've already checked the calendar.  It looks like we'll get a Valentine's Day.  Easter is really late next year so Mardi Gras isn't until March.