For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
There was that time it snowed in south Louisiana in December.  And then, a little more than a month later, it snowed in south Louisiana in January.  I mean, I couldn't even make this stuff up if I tried!  Whoever in the world would've thought?!

Seth came home from work last Monday and asked about the schools being cancelled the following day.  What?  Obviously, I missed something.  But then the news channels and social media began reporting school closures.  When we went to bed that night, a little snowflake showed up on my weather app.


Tuesday morning at 5:30, I began receiving texts . . . Sequitur was not going to have class, and Bible study was canceled, too.  By mid morning there were three snowflakes!


Snow finally started falling in the late afternoon.  It didn't take long for the Mississippi River bridge to close.  When we woke up the next morning, there was a very light dusting of snow, and the entire interstate system was closed.  It wasn't the fluffy-build-a-snowman kind of snow.  It was the crunchy, icy kind.  



There really wasn't a whole lot of playing in the snow.  The sunshine came out, but the temperature didn't warm up enough to melt the ice.

The best place to play was actually on the trampoline.

The interstate system and a lot of highways were closed until Friday.  So we still schooled, but we didn't have Sequitur.  All of the kids' extra-curricular activities were canceled, too.  So we basically spent three whole days at home without going anywhere, and it was absolutely glorious!  We didn't take our pajamas off until it was time to shower and put on a new pair.  I even read an entire book!  We ate lots of soups and stews.  There was a fire in the fireplace.  I have to say I even got cold this time around.  It was just perfect.



Friday arrived, and it was back to regularly scheduled programming.  We had a field trip that morning, Mason had a dodgeball tourney that evening with some friends and we took the girls to the LSU gymnastics meet.  And, of course, we were back up in the 70s by Sunday.

One of my friends said it best.  The Lord gave us an opportunity to enjoy His season of winter in south Louisiana this year!  For me, it was such a gift.  Truly.

"Many, O Lord my God, are Your wonderful works which You have done; and Your thoughts toward us cannot be recounted to You in order; If I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered."  ~Psalm 40:5