For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Picking my three things today . . . well, that's easy.  I could pick so many more than three things though.  But yet it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that this day has just been yucky and crummy, one of those days that just knocks you off your feet.  And you don't even want to get up.  Because you're tired of getting knocked down over and over and over and over again.  Because it seems like you're getting up just to get knocked down again.  But I find that it's in the giving of thanks that it's possible to get up again.    

1.  I'm thankful for Ms. Kim and Mrs. Sandy.  These ladies are Mason's speech therapist and educational therapist.  They've walked this journey with us for a year and a half now.  They have been our biggest cheerleaders.  We see these ladies twice a week, Mondays and Wednesdays.  Mason's improvement and success during the course of the past year has been tremendous, and I know it correlates directly with the work these ladies have done.  They get it.  They understand.  They know what dyslexia is.  They know the challenges Mason goes through everyday.  I could never adequately express what these ladies mean to me.  Today Ms. Kim told me that Mason will most likely be ready to graduate in December.  That means he won't go to therapy anymore.  That means HE DID IT.  And while that's the day I've been longing for and waiting for, I'm not ready.  I really don't know what I'm going to do without these two ladies cheering us along the way.

2.  I'm thankful that Ellie stayed dry all day today and tee teed in the potty!  Some of you are reading this and thinking that I must be digging deep for this one.  Others of you are reading this and understand exactly the depth of my gratitude!  Ellie has been very aware of what's going on in her diaper since she was 15 months old.  At 18 months old, she would even go to her diaper bag and take a diaper out and give it to the nearest adult for a diaper change.  I bought pull ups at the beginning of the summer with the intention of potty training her before the new school year started.  But the first day I tried to get her to use the potty, she wouldn't at all.  She just wanted to sit there and play with the toilet paper and flush the potty.  And then promptly tee tee in her pants immediately afterwards.  That lasted for one day, and I put the diapers right back on her.  Because I'm not even messing with that!  I spent a year and a half potty training Mason.  I fell hook, line and sinker for the books, the potty parties, the charts, all of it.  When Hannah Kate asked to use the potty at two years old, I told her that's why she was wearing a diaper.  I had no intention of training her before the age of three.  And then one day I passed by the bathroom and saw her sitting on the potty with her diaper on the floor.  I bought her some big girl panties the next day, and that was it.  I never knew potty training could be so easy!  I really was proud of Ellie today.  I prefer to stay at home several days in a row while potty training, but we just aren't able to do that.  But she stayed dry the whole two hours we were in the truck, and then she went to the potty when we got to therapy.  That's the first time she's used a potty that wasn't hers at home.  So I just might bring out her big girl panties tomorrow.  I bought her favorites - Dora and Minnie Mouse.  Oh, and I'm also not ashamed that I'm bribing her with candy.  Candy is not something we keep in our house.  Needless to say, my kids LOVE the holidays for this reason.  I had to scrounge around to find the left over Easter candy so I could make good on my promise to Ellie.  Again, I am not ashamed!

3.  I'm thankful that Seth is not out of town this week.  He is home.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
~Philippians 4:6-7