For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Whereas yesterday my heart wasn't really bent towards thankfulness even though I was surrounded by blessings, today I was completely overwhelmed by all I have to be thankful for.  It was a really fun day.  And I am thankful for fun!

The day began early for Mason.  He and Seth went to a Boy Scouts space derby workshop so Mason could make his rocket for the upcoming space derby.  And as soon as I understand what that is, I'll let you know!  After that I took the kids to a birthday party at a gym.  They absolutely loved it!  They had the best time.  I knew what was going to happen.  As soon as we left, Hannah Kate told me she wanted to have her birthday party at the gym.  So I explained to her that she'd already decided to have a painting party and that mommy was already planning that party so perhaps the gym will wait until next year.  And while it was a really fun place, I have to be totally honest and tell you that I wouldn't let either of the biggies touch Ellie until they had a bath and were totally de-germed!  Oh the smell of sweat and dirty socks . . . Ick!

And while I'm on the subject, I do realize that I am a totally uncool mom.  Hannah Kate has NEVER played on the playground at Chic-fil-A!  Gasp!  There's just one word that comes to mind.  Germy.  And I just can't take it.  Mason has played on the playground at Chic-fil-A a time or two, but there just isn't enough germ-x in the world for that!  But anyway.

Despite the smell and the germs, the gym was a great place for a party.  The kids got to play on an indoor playground of sorts and then went into the gym for excercise, tumbling, trampolines and a jump into the foam pit.
When we got home, Mason, Hannah Kate and I made a strawberry cake for a certain someone's birthday tomorrow.  This is a really special someone.  I don't bake.  And when I do, I certainly don't do cakes.  Except that time I found what I thought was a great strawberry cake recipe and spent all afternoon in the kitchen only to have the thing fall apart and slip and slide all over the place.  I was so aggravated that the only thing that saved that cake from the garbage was my husband.  It was an ugly cake, and it wasn't very good either.  So I decided right then and there that it was just worth it to purchase the expensive strawberry cake from my favorite bakery because it's just that good!  But for this occasion, I didn't have time to go to the bakery.  I'm just really not an "out of the box" kind of girl either.  I prefer to do things from scratch.  So I decided to give it another try.  Besides, I didn't really have a choice in the matter.  This someone wants a strawberry cake for her birthday so a strawberry cake she'll have.  I basically combined two different strawberry cake recipes to come up with something that I hope . . . and I really think . . . is going to be good tomorrow!  But the best part was having my two helpers in the kitchen with me. 
And here is the cake right before it went into the oven.  I'm happy to report it actually made it into the oven, and I didn't drop anything today!
I just finished putting the layers together with the filling and icing, and I have to admit that it came out even better than I thought it would!  This is the first cake I've ever baked that my layers are smooth and flat on top.  I have no idea how that happened, but it did.  You'll get to see the finished cake and the birthday girl tomorrow.

And then there's this sweet thing.  She loved the party, too!  Her favorite part was watching all the boys and girls.  But then she got tired and fell asleep in my arms.  Oh how I just love holding this baby girl! 
GIVING THANKS | Day 3:  I am thankful for the sound of child laughter.  I am thankful for the excited squeals and giggles of my children that accompany a day of fun.  I am thankful for the child chatter coming from the upstairs playroom.  I am thankful for FUN.

And I am also thankful that I get an extra hour of sleep tonight!