For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
So this is how my day started out.  The pan of blueberry muffins that I was baking for breakfast never made it into the oven.  I dropped the pan on the floor, and blueberry muffin batter went everywhere.
Yes, it was one of THOSE days.  You know what kind of day I'm talking about.  Yesterday was one of THOSE days, too.  As a matter of fact, as I was cleaning blueberry muffin batter off of my kitchen floor, I was grumbling about how bad of a day this was going to be.  Never mind the day had barely begun.  And isn't that just great (the grumbling, I mean) since this is November and Thanksgiving and all, and I'm trying to live daily a life of thankfulness and gratitude and do the whole thirty days of thanks thing.

So, yes, I was thankful for the baby who was really fussy today.  And the loads of laundry that I washed, folded and put away.  And the dirty floors that were in desperate need of mopping.  And the supper that didn't quite turn out the way I wanted it to because I took a shortcut and shouldn't have.  And the science fair project that I really don't have time to do right now but started working on this afternoon anyway.  But all the while I was thinking that I just really wanted a do-over of the past two days!  So is that really thanksgiving?  Is that really living a life of gratitude?

By evening I was absolutely beside myself.  So I decided to mop tonight after the kitchen was cleaned up and the children were bathed.  And as I mopped, a verse came to mind that I cling to on THOSE kinds of days.

This is the day the LORD has made;
I will rejoice and be glad in it.
~Psalm 118:24

In that moment, I began to experience the JOY of THANKFULNESS.  Even though this was one of THOSE days, I was reminded that God created this day for me to enjoy.  He created this day with a purpose in mind.  He created this day to bless me.  I'm afraid I miss many of His blessings sometimes.

GIVING THANKS | Day 2:  I am thankful for days like today that remind me of my overwhelming need to rest in the sufficiency of Christ and to rejoice over spilled blueberry muffin batter.  Because there is joy in that!  I almost missed it.  And it took me all day to get there.  And if all of this sounds crazy and strange to you, I'd encourage you to drop a muffin pan of batter on your kitchen floor!