For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Two Friday's ago (yes, that is how far behind I am!) marked the end of the first nine weeks of school and brought with it a day off.  I wanted to do something fun to celebrate Mason and all of his hard work.  So I decided to take the kids to the Baton Rouge Zoo.

Now.  This zoo is nothing spectacular as far as zoos are concerned.  But it is clean.  It has an awesome playground area.  It is cheap.  And you get to see a few animals along the way.  I didn't tell Mason and Hannah Kate my plan.  I simply woke them up, prepared breakfast and instructed them to pick out an outfit to wear.  When I emphasized that their outfit needed to match, they knew we were going somewhere.  And, somehow, Mason guessed it right off.  He's yelling at me from the top of the stairs, "The zoo!  Mom, are we going to the zoo?!  Is my surprise the zoo?  We're going to the zoo!  I just know it!"  Well, okay then.  I'm glad to know he approved of my choice.

So go to the zoo we did.  And we had a great time!  It was a little on the warm side (it's actually still A LOT on the warm side), but it really was a beautiful day.

Here are a few pictures from our trip.  Many of these you've seen before, such as the Live Tiger Cage.  But they insist on their picture being made here every time.

 Mason and Hannah Kate are camera shy.  They don't like to have their picture taken AT. ALL.  And they certainly don't want to pose for the camera!  See what I mean . . .
 Ellie enjoyed her first trip to the zoo!  She slept most of the time, but she did enjoy her stroller ride.  I think she's going to be a thumb sucker.  I finally managed to capture a picture of her with her thumb in her mouth. 
 It's been a few months since our last trip to the zoo.  There's a new giraffe sculpture at the giraffe exhibit.  Again, it was all I could do to get Mason and Hannah Kate to agree to a picture in front of the sculpture!
 We walked the zoo and then spent thirty minutes on the playground.  After that I bought icees for Mason and Hannah Kate to cool them off.  And, by this time, they were ready to go.  I don't really know why, but this picture just makes me laugh.
 As we were leaving, Hannah Kate proclaimed, "This has been the best day EVER!"  Well, I'm not sure about that, but it sure was nice to hear her say that.  I love nothing more than making my children's day!  Lately I've felt like I'm just not doing a good job at anything really, especially at mothering, but this day in particular made me feel like a winner!