For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
I have to be honest. There were very few favorites this week. It was just . . . rough. I don't even want a do-over. I'm just glad it's over!

Favorite Pin - The only thing I pinned this week was a printable pack from etsy for Hannah Kate's birthday party.

Favorite Activity - Decorating our Christmas trees was a lot of fun this week! Yes, I know it's early. But when we come back home after our trip to Georgia for Thanksgiving, everything is already done! Besides, I'll have my hands full planning for Hannah Kate's birthday party. And shopping with Mason and Hannah Kate for our Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes was a lot of fun, too!

Favorite Meal - We had breakfast for supper one night. I made a Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole and Gouda Cheese Grits. Yum!

Favorite Quote - There isn't one particular thing that stands out this week. Instead, there are conversations. And sometimes even silence.

When we were shopping for our shoeboxes, Mason asked if we could put the Cars 2 DVD in his box. I explained to him that the boy who was going to get his box wouldn't have a DVD player or even a television so he wouldn't be able to watch a DVD. Several minutes passed before Mason said anything else. I know he was thinking about what I said, trying to understand it, trying to comprehend it. We have SO MUCH . . . it's just unfathomable that there are so many with SO LITTLE, even NOTHING.

Since this is the month of Thanksgiving, I ask Mason and Hannah Kate to each tell me one thing they are thankful for every night after we read our Bible story. The first night, Mason said he was thankful for God, and Hannah Kate said she was thankful for Jesus. Now aren't those just the perfect, "churchy" answers you'd love to hear from your 6-year-old and 3-year-old?!? It reminded me of when I was a girl . . . every year Grandmother would have a birthday cake for Jesus at our family gathering on Christmas Eve. And every year we'd light three candles on that cake. And every year she would ask each grandchild, all eight of us, what we were going to give Jesus for His birthday. I don't really remember what the answers were. But I do remember the year I said, "My heart." Well. Didn't that just thrill their hearts? And the adults oohed and aahed and smiled. And then every year after that, I think all eight of us responded with "my heart" when asked the question. I can remember one in particular, maybe two (not naming any names . . . Jennifer and Denise) who would just roll their eyes at me everytime it came my turn. The next night when I asked Mason and Hannah Kate what they were thankful for, they responded with the same thing. But I told them that they had to say something different each night and that they couldn't say what had already been said. So the past few nights have been a lot of fun.

With all of the talk about Christmas and the decorations coming down from the attic, Mason and Hannah Kate are all about it now. As a matter of fact, the other night Mason said he was thankful for Christmas. I asked him why he was thankful for Christmas, and unfortunately I got a little too puffed up, if you know what I mean. I was expecting him to respond with, "because it's Jesus' birthday." But he didn't. Instead, he was honest. He said, "cause I get presents." So I gently reminded him that even though we do get presents at Christmas, and getting presents is fun, Christmas is really about Jesus' birthday. And that's why we should be thankful for Christmas. So he thought for a minute. And do you know what he then asked me? "Well, Mama, why do you have the Christmas tree then?" Ah yes, the honesty of a child. We've had lots of teachable moments this week . . . not only for children but for mother, too.

Favorite Verse - So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taght, and overflowing with thankfulness. ~Colossians 2:6-7

So as much as I'm really glad to have this week behind me, I'm just not looking forward to next week. We have one major project left in the house that we never finished . . . laying the stone on the fireplace. I have a stone layer coming on Monday morning to start the job. It'll probably take three weeks or so. And I'm just not looking forward to it. Well, let me put it another way. I'm not looking forward to the process. But I can not wait until it's DONE.