For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
So. Picking right back up where we left off. Three weeks ago . . . because I'm sure you're just on the edge of your seat wondering what happened next. Either that or you've totally given up on me, and you aren't even reading this to begin with!

It was graduation. Mason's kindergarten graduation. At the end of the ceremony, they were going to present "kindergarten awards." I really didn't know what kind of awards or who was receiving an award. So imagine my surprise . . . when Mason's name was called! I remember seeing him jump up out of his seat and nearly break out into a run over to Mr. Cavalier to receive his award . . . a TROPHY (yall know how that boy has longed for a trophy!) no less . . . but I do not remember if I even clapped for him or not! I also wasn't camera ready so I do not have any pictures of him actually receiving the award. But he wouldn't let the thing go once it was in his hands.
Four students, one from each kindergarten class, were chosen to receive an award for Most Improved, and Mason was chosen from his class! I just can not tell you how proud I am of him! We had no idea what to expect from kindergarten. But I can tell you what I DID NOT expect . . . I did not expect him to leave kindergarten knowing how to read simple words and even short books! I did not expect him to learn how to add or subtract in kindergarten. Two days ago I listened to him count to 500. These may not seem like a big deal to you, but they are to me!

When Mason started kindergarten in August, he could barely write his name. He didn't even WANT to write his name. At that point, I was just glad he could at least spell his name. And I think the whole concept of "school" in and of itself was just a shock to him. He wanted to go to school because that's what Avery, Beau and Abbie did, but he didn't know what school was. He'd never been to pre-k. He'd never been to Mother's Day Out. He'd never been to daycare. He's just been with me since the day he was born into this world. So to say that we had some "catching up" to do is an understatement. And because we spent the 18 months prior to Mason starting kindergarten dealing with a relocation from another state and then building a house, I didn't have time to really work with him at home a whole lot. Besides, he'd spend the next 13 years of his life, maybe (hopefully) more, in school anyway.

But Mason just embraced learning. He never complained. He loved doing his homework each day. We spent a lot of time doing extra activities to supplement what Ms. Alexander was already doing. We practiced letters and numbers and writing and rhyming words and everything I could think of to reinforce his classroom learning. And slowly but surely, his test scores started going up, and his report cards improved dramatically.

I am still amazed at the ways he has grown not only in knowledge, but emotionally, mentally, socially and even spiritually. I can not wait to see how the Lord's plan for his life unfolds. I'm so very thankful that I'm allowed the privilege of being Mason's mom. And, to be honest with you, if I had to go back and do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing! I'm also very thankful that the Lord has blessed our family in ways that have allowed me to stay at home with our children during their early years. From the time they are born until the time they go to kindergarten . . . it's only five years . . . that's it. And I can honestly say that those years with Mason were worth every sacrifice. Now I'm realizing just how small that sacrifice really was. It's nothing compared to the TIME I've had with him. There is no pre-k program or Mother's Day Out that could even come close, even on the days when I just wanted to pull my hair out (or his) and especially on the days when I just thought I "needed a break!"