For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Lately I have noticed that I am getting a lot more sentimental than I used to be. I guess it comes with age . . . and children. When I was little, Pa and Grandmother gave me a white baby cradle for Christmas one year. Grandmother sewed the soft mint green bedding for the cradle. Actually, all four of us girls - me, Jennifer, Denise and Ashley - were given these beautiful white cradles. Once I was grown and gone, Mama saved my cradle in the attic, along with several other prized and special toys.

A couple of months ago, the cradle came down out of the attic. It was just as I remembered it, only the bedding was a little stained and faded from the years of use and storage. I wanted to give this cradle to Hannah Kate for her 1st birthday. I excitedly went to a fabric store and picked out several patterns of coordinating fabric (hot pink and green, of course!) and embellishments to create and sew new bedding. I have to admit I was very excited with the outcome, especially considering my amateur sewing skills.I know it means little to Hannah Kate now, but I hope it will mean something to her later . . . knowing that her great-grandparents blessed her mommy with that cradle one Christmas, and her Mommy loved putting her babies to sleep in that cradle, and now she is putting her babies to sleep in the cradle that Mommy once played with. Who knows . . . maybe she'll one day sew new bedding for it, too and give it to her daughter, my granddaughter!