For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Hannah Katherine was 2 months old last week! She is, without a doubt, the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world! Now, I know you feel the same way about your little girl, and you should. But Hannah Kate is so beautiful! I really wish you could see her . . . these pictures just don't do her justice! Of course, part of it is because Mommy isn't the best of picture takers, despite her many attempts to try.In celebration of her 2 month birthday, Hannah Kate went to the pediatrician for a check-up. She weighed 10 lbs 10 oz and was 23 inches long. At first I was a little disappointed with her weight. I thought she would be a little closer to 12 lbs (don't ask me why). So I commented to the pediatrician about it. She said that not only had Hannah Kate gained a good amount of weight in two months, but she was in the 40th percentile for weight at her two week check-up and is now in the 50th percentile for weight based on her age. So she made a pretty significant gain. I looked back and realized that I had forgotten that she weighed only 7 lbs 9 oz at her two week check-up . . . a far cry from the 8 lbs 5 oz she was at birth! So that helped put it into perspective a little better. She is in the 75th percentile for length.

After the really good check-up came the dreaded shots! Oww-eee . . . they must've hurt so bad! She received four vaccines, but one of them was administed with a purply-looking oral liquid that must've been yummy. But that's where the fun ended. At the first needle stick, Hannah Kate's mouth opened wide with a shrill scream, her face was beet red, and I don't think she even took a breath until sometime after the third needle stick. I would like to know why all vaccines can't be administed via yummy purply-looking liquid! It's a good thing we were at the doctor's office because for what seemed like forever I didn't think she was going to breathe again. But she did. And then her big eyes looked up at me like, "Mommy, why in the world did you let them do that to me?!?" That's one of the least favorite parenting moments!

Hannah Kate smiles a little more everyday. It's easy to make her laugh. Mason even had her cracking up yesterday, which was a first. I guess she has decided he isn't so bad after all. She also coos for me every once in awhile. She's holding her head up really well on her own so it won't be long before she can sit in the bumbo seat. She still goes to bed around 10:00 and wakes up around 4:00am to nurse before going back down until 7:30 or so. However, last night she slept all the way until 5:15am!

There's one thing that Hannah Kate has in common with not only her brother but her Bayham cousins as well . . . THE LIP. That's the moment when she realizes she probably isn't very happy, but she's still not quite sure, and she definitely hasn't decided what she's going to do about it. Sometimes she decides she really is happy after all, and other times she decides to break out into her "I need some attention, please," cry. It's not a full-fledged scream but more of a high pitched whimper. I'm hoping to get it on video one day, but I'm usually too late by the time I grab the camcorder. I captured the natural progression of THE LIP the other day:
Even with THE LIP, she's still the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world!