For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Well.  Often times days don't go like you planned.  This would be one of those.

5:30AM - I don't wake up as early on Thursdays.  I was really tempted not to wake up at all this morning.

6:00AM - Woke the kids up to come downstairs and eat breakfast.  Mason had requested oatmeal.  Ellie wanted yogurt.  Hannah Kate didn't have a preference so she had left over sausage wrap rolls.  I started packing their snacks and drinks for the morning.  When I looked back over at the table, I noticed Hannah Kate was nearly crying.  I asked her what was wrong, and she told me her throat was hurting.  Apparently she started feeling bad yesterday, but she didn't tell me.  She had a fun afternoon planned with her little bestie, and she knew we'd have to postpone that for another day if she was sick.  Well, postponed for another day it is.  I checked her temperature, and she had a low grade fever so I gave her some Tylenol and sent her back upstairs to bed.

6:50AM - Most Thursdays my sweet friend drops the kids off at school on her way to work. If she's not able to, I take them and usually sit in my Tahoe in the parking lot at the church until they're finished at 12:30.  I know.  Five hours.  It's not worth it to drive all the way back home only to leave again in three hours or so to pick them up.  But it's really not bad at all.  I study and read, which is what I'd be doing at home anyway.  This morning Mason and Ellie rode with my friend.  After they left, I check on Hannah Kate again and then started reading and working on my Bible study.  I try to finish all of the questions and my homiletics on Thursdays so I have plenty of time to study and research for the wiring of the lecture.

11:00AM - I left a bit earlier than usual to pick up Mason and Ellie so I could stop by the store.  There were a couple of things I needed for meals this weekend and my Sunday school class.  I actually had a few other errands I'd planned to take care of today, but since Hannah Kate is sick, those will have to wait until another day.

1:10PM - Back home, and I fix lunch for Mason and Ellie.  Hannah Kate wasn't interested in eating.  I've been pumping her full of elderberry syrup and vitamin C shots.  After I cleaned the kitchen, I started a load of laundry.  I'd cleaned out Ellie's closet a few weeks ago, and there were several items I wanted to sell so I took pictures of those and got everything posted to social media.

3:45PM - I dropped Mason off to help with an outreach project our church did tonight.

4:15PM - Back home again.  Usually Ellie has gymnastics on Thursdays, which means we leave at 4:00 and get back around 6:30.  Most of the time we have leftovers for supper since I'm not at home to really prepare anything.  But her gym class was canceled tonight, which ended up being a really good thing since Hannah Kate isn't feeling well.  I also had time to make chicken and dumplings for supper.

6:30PM - Ellie and I sat down to eat together.  I thought Hannah Kate had perked up earlier, but I'm thinking not so much now.  I don't think she has the flu but maybe strep?  Or maybe just a virus?  Regardless, I've already decided to take her to the doctor in the morning to have her tested.  I just want to know so I can treat it correctly.

7:45PM - Laundry is done and folded, the kitchen is clean.  I sit down to work on homiletics again.  It's quiet in the house tonight.  I'm thinking it will be early to bed, too.  Everyone is tired.  Except Ellie, of course.