For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
The kids and I just got back from two weeks in Georgia.  It was restful and fun and lazy some days and busy other days.  We packed as much as we could into those two weeks, and it still wasn't enough.  We didn't see everyone or do all the things, but we sure gave it our best shot.  Funny thing is . . . growing up, I never ever thought of Georgia - my home - as a place to visit or vacation to.  It was, to me, a place to live.  Home.  You go somewhere else for a vacation.  I also never really realized or thought about just how much fun stuff there is to do there, neat places to visit, history to learn.  I took it for granted because I was just used to it, I guess.  It was home.  But now, for these three, it's like a vacation destination!
I never let Mason sit up front.  Like never ever.  He asked - no, begged - to sit up front with me on this trip.  I thought about it a long while and finally agreed.  Besides, I figured he could keep me company, and we could have a good 8-9 hours of mother/son bonding time together.  Let's just say not all things go as planned, especially with teenagers!

Hannah Kate was so excited that the new Serafina book was released just in time for our trip.  It arrived a couple of days before we left, but she somehow managed to wait until the drive to begin reading it.  The thing she didn't do, however, was save some for the drive back to Louisiana.  She read the whole entire book on the way to Georgia!  That's my girl!  Ellie did a lot of reading during the drive, too.  She read 2 1/2 books!
So our first full day in Georgia was Ellie's birthday.  We spent the day celebrating her and hanging out with Pop and Mimi.  That night we went to VBS at Pop and Mimi's church.
The next day we went to the Georgia Aquarium with my bestie and her littles (although none of ours are really little anymore!).
It's always a great day in the ATL, and this day was no exception.  The kids had a ball, and I enjoyed catching up a bit with Barbara.
This was our third visit to the aquarium.  We saw all of the exhibits, and we also saw the dolphin and sea lion shows.  My kids said they enjoyed the sea lion show the most.  Here they are visiting with the penguins.

I never have pictures of myself with the children because I'm always the one taking the pictures.
And we were excited to get this one, too.  Well, our children weren't so excited, but they did a really good job playing along.
The aquarium is right across the green from the World of Coke.  We didn't go for a visit, but they indulged us again for another picture.

After we left the aquarium, I had to stop by Costco to pick up the food for VBS Family Night.  I learned that not all Costcos are created equal!  My Costco does not have a whole lamb (cute girl not included) for sale!  Or at least I've never seen it.  Needless to say, we were a bit fascinated.
We went back to VBS again that night.  There wasn't a youth class so I told Mason the night before that we would just see where we were most needed or where we thought we'd like to hang out.  We ended up in the elementary boys' class, mainly because two of my nephews were in there, and we wanted to spend as much time as we could with them.  Do you know what happens when a tall 14-year old dude wearing his AllStar baseball jersey shows up to hang out with 2nd-4th grade boys?  Well, they think he is the bees' knees . . . and they ask a million questions and make him bracelets and clamor to sit beside him and hang on his every word.  Needless to say, Mason spent the rest of VBS in that class.  When I looked out the window and saw them gathered around him during recreation, my heart was so full.  This was such a good opportunity for me to have some conversations with him about influence and godly character.  
I didn't really do a very good job of taking pictures on this trip so there's a lot I don't have.  We spent the next day at the pool with another dear friend and her boys.  Her two oldest boys are a year older and a year younger than Mason.  They hadn't seen each other in at least eight years and certainly don't remember that.  But they hit it off immediately.  They have so much in common, especially baseball, and I enjoyed watching them play and talk.  I enjoyed even more my conversation with Elaine.  I wish I would've gotten a picture, but I didn't.  That evening we attended VBS Family Night.

The next day was Friday.  We had planned to go to the lake, but the forecast wasn't very good.  So we stayed home.  I visited with Cindy for awhile at the flower shop.  We went out to eat that night with my parents.  And then we woke up on Saturday to a most gorgeous day so to the lake we went.  This is, hands down, my very happy place.  We haven't been out in a boat this summer at all, and Mason hadn't skied since last summer.  But he got up the very first time!

The girls enjoyed the boat ride while we pulled him.

But, let's be honest.  This is what he was really waiting on!  And you can't hardly make him get off.  We pulled him all over the place.  
Ellie and I rode next, but I don't have any pictures of that.  And then it was Hannah Kate's turn.  I wish she'd try skiing because I have a feeling she'd get up the first time, but she is very . . . cautious.  So this is about a wild and crazy as Hannah Kate is going to get!
Yes, this is wild and crazy Hannah Kate (only because the boat wasn't moving).
Then it was Pop's turn to ski.
We ate lunch and then went for a ride to the marina.  I spent many a summer day cruising around on this lake when I was growing up.

We let the kids tube again.  This time Hannah Kate and Ellie rode together.
I'm convinced my kids love this place as much as I do, and I'm glad.  If you ask them, this was probably one of their favorite days.

I forgot to bring her life jacket so she had to wear my old one.  We just made it work!
And that wraps up our first week.  Up next . . . another pool day with more friends, lots of cousin time, another day in the ATL, picking peaches . . .