For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
We began our second week in Georgia at church with Pop and Mimi.  Afterwards we went to our dear friends' house for burgers and pool time.  These kids swam and played sharks and minnows and categories and jumped off the diving board and slid down the slide for four hours nonstop!  It was such a fun afternoon, and my kids were absolutely exhausted afterwards.  I also learned a new word.  Volun-told.  I had never heard it before so when Harrison (9 years old) busted it out in a sentence, I nearly died!  No doubt it's a thing, but apparently it's a real word, too.  Mason said it's a military word.  When asked how he knew that, he said one of his teachers used to be in the military and had used it in class before.  Anyway, I think that word is going to be quite useful!  
After two days playing nonstop in the water, we took a day off on Monday.  We caught up on laundry and reading and rest.  I spent a couple of hours ordering school books and supplies and making sure we have everything we need for the fast approaching new school year.

The next day we spent some more time with family.  Our first stop was Aunt Gail's house.  We talked about family and church and life and all kinds of things.  I could listen to her all day long.  My favorite story was when she was telling us about my cousins' goat getting inside her house.  Then we went to Aunt Kristi's house for lunch and a play date.  I was so grateful for all of the extra cousin time during this trip.  We got to spend time with them at VBS the previous week and then they came over for pizza on Saturday night and then we went to their house.  The kids played all afternoon, and I had the best time talking with Kristi.  It was just a good afternoon.
The next day I took the kids back to the ATL.  Our first stop was the Atlanta History Center.  I'd never been there before.  The main reason I took them was to see the cyclorama.  It was recently restored and relocated from its original location at Grant Park to the history center.
There are several different exhibits at the Atlanta History Center, including a lot of history and information about the Civil War.
I visited the cyclorama on a field trip with my 4th grade class.  (Just in case you're wondering, a cyclorama is a huge circular painting that creates an illusion.  The viewer stands on a raised platform, and it's supposed to feel like you're actually in the scene.  There are only two cycloramas in the United States, one of which is this one in Atlanta.  It was painted in 1886 by 17 artists.  It's 49 feet tall, longer than a football field and weighs 10,000 pounds.  This particular one depicts the Civil War.).  At the time, it was located at Grant Park on the zoo grounds.  I still remember that field trip to this day.  The painting was in the center of the room (again, it's circular), and we sat in theater-like seating and rotated around it while listening to narration about exactly what we were looking at.  Hannah Kate studied American history in 2nd grade, and we touched on the Civil War then.  Ellie will be doing the same thing this upcoming school year.  Hannah Kate will be studying American history more in-depth this year, and she read two Civil War-themed books for summer reading.  So I thought this trip was perfect.

But, honestly, I was a little bit disappointed.  The painting isn't in the center anymore.  Instead, you're in the center of the painting (which is honestly how cycloramas are intended to be anyway).  But there isn't any seating so when they narrate the painting, you can't always see what they're talking about.  And if you're Ellie's height, you can forget it because none of the adults will move out of the way for the shorter kids to be able to see.  But.  You are able to get a lot closer to the painting now and see a lot more of the detail (even though you may not know exactly what you're looking at).  So, I don't know.  If you went to the cyclorama when it was at Grant Park, I don't necessarily recommend going.  But if you've never been or if you have older children, I might recommend it. 

And . . . I couldn't resist!  Here lies Clarke Gable!  When he came to Atlanta for the premier of Gone With the Wind, he saw the painting and commented that the only thing wrong with it was that it didn't have a picture of him in it.  So an artist was commissioned to create a sculpture of Clarke to add to the scene.  (And you better believe I came back with my Mama's copy of Gone With the Wind to watch with Hannah Kate!)
Our favorite exhibit was Barbecue Nation, a little history of the origins of BBQ.  
We've been to several of these down through the years.  We're constantly having conversations about BBQ, and Seth is always watching some kind of BBQ cooking show or researching how to smoke a certain cut of meat on his smoker.  And I have to be honest.  Give me all the sides - baked beans, coleslaw, Brunswick stew.  I don't particularly care for the meat, but I'll eat it just to have BBQ sauce.  I love me some BBQ sauce.  I could probably drink it! 
The kids had such a fun time here.  We essentially had the place all to ourselves.  They had this fabulous little Arthur Bryant's set-up so you could create your idea of the perfect BBQ plate.  It was so cute!

And, of course, this one had the whole chicken!

And this one right here thinks he's so smart.  Let's just say BBQ is definitely not something Louisiana is known for or something people would come here looking for.  (He erased it.)
We also toured Tullie Smith Farm and the Swan House.  All of these are part of the Atlanta History Center.

I hadn't brought up the subject of lunch yet, but I knew we'd be eating in Atlanta.  I really wanted to go to Ponce City Market.  I had my eye on a lobster roll.  But as the noon hour drew near and the kids started dying of hunger, Mason asked if we could go to The Varsity.  He remembered it from several years ago.  And I'm a sucker so go to the Varsity we did!  Besides, when in Atlanta, right?!




So, yeah, The Varsity is the ONLY place I'll eat a hotdog.  And chili.  And their slaw is really good - sweet, just like I like it!  I mean, it's not a lobster roll, but all four of us ate at The Varsity for less the cost of that lobster roll.  So maybe next time!
Our next stop was the Georgia state Capitol building.  I don't think I've ever been inside the capitol before.  Mason is absolutely fascinated with capitol buildings and always has been.  He always admires the gold dome when we drive into Atlanta.  The legislature wasn't in session, and Georgia State University was on break so it was the perfect day to visit.  Parking was a breeze, and we had the entire building nearly to ourselves.
We took a self-guided tour of the entire building.  There were some awesome exhibits.  This one was my favorite depicting some of the state symbols of Georgia.  I had no idea Georgia had a state marine mammal, much less that it's the right whale!
And there was this cool little replica of the dome that explained the architecture and construction.

The entire building was very majestic with lots of wide open spaces and halls.  It was beautiful.

A sweet lady noticed me taking pictures of the children and asked if she could take one of all of us together.  We were standing under the rotunda.  Apparently, Ellie couldn't stop looking up!
We stepped inside the Senate chamber.
And then we saw someone we know!  My first cousin is currently a Senator for District 17. It was really cool to see his picture there.

The governor's office is surrounded by windows so you can peek inside.  There wasn't anyone in there at the time we were visiting, but I can only imagine what it's like when all the desks are full. It would be a great place to people watch!
Across the street from the Capitol building is a small park.  Again, we had the park to ourselves.  We were facing the sun, but I really wanted a picture so our only option was a selfie, which I am horrible at, and me telling the kids to close their eyes until I counted to three and then to open them really quickly for a picture.  Mason gave it his best effort.  And this was the best we could do.


The next day was our last.  We went to Gregg Farms to pick some peaches for our family and friends back in Louisiana.  (And I just have to say that I can never pick peaches without thinking of Tim McGraw . . . sing it with me . . . Down in Georgia; pickin them peaches . . .)










A few weeks ago, Mason asked me if we were going to see TJ.  I told him we were, to which he responded, "Yeeesssss."  When I asked him why, he said he wanted to see if he was as tall as TJ now since he'd grown a lot this spring.  I told him that no matter how tall he grows, he will NEVER be as tall as TJ!  TJ is standing at 6'2" on the left.  He and Mason are the exact same age.  And Carter is in the middle.  He is the oldest of this set of cousins, and he just graduated high school.
I never imagined twenty years ago that Jenn, Denise and I would have ELEVEN children amongst the three of us.  Nor would I ever have imagined just how quickly they'd all grow up!
I don't even know what to say about this . . . except that I'm absolutely CRAZY about these people.  These and their mommas and daddies and grandmas and grandpas are MY PEOPLE.  We spent the evening together and ate and talked and laughed and talked and laughed some more.  It just wasn't long enough!  Maybe we saved the best for last (although it's really impossible to name a best!).  It was definitely a perfect ending to a fabulous trip.  Two weeks wasn't long enough.  I don't know that any amount of time would ever be long enough.
It was such a fun two weeks!  I think my parents kind of got used to us being there.  (And, I mean, why do I not have a picture with them?!?  I told you yesterday I didn't do a great job taking pictures on this trip!  Week 1 is here.)

A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.  ~George Moore