For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
It's the first week in April, and here I am blogging about the first week in March.  Because that's how I seem to roll as of late.

Right after Christmas, Seth told me he wanted to "go somewhere" during Mardi Gras break.  Fine by me!  So we took a little road trip to the Smokey Mountains.  Although we've driven through Tennessee on other trips, the kids had never been to the Gatlinburg area so that's where we started.
We rented a cute little cabin outside of Gatlinburg, and it was perfect (except for the driveway, which was a wee bit steep).  The kids quickly fell in love with the upstairs and loft areas because . . . bunk beds!  But that wasn't the only reason.  I have no doubt they would've been just fine had we not even ever left the cabin.
I really can't blame them though.  We all just needed a break and a rest.  I could've sat here and read my books all day long.
It was the first week in March so the trees were still barren, and the landscape was very winter-ish (without the snow, of course).
But the whole reason they didn't want to leave was this.  The pool table.
Seth grew up with a pool table in his house.  His grandfather was quite the pool player (I'm really not sure what you call someone who plays pool).  But shortly after Seth and I got married, the pool table went away.  So it's been many years since Seth had a pool cue (at least I know what it's called) in his hand.  Let's just say he was in his element here and reliving some of his glory days.  I heard lingo I've never heard before (Double kiss?  What even in the world is that?!).  I mean, my aunt had a pool table in her basement, but that's just not something I was ever interested in.  I can shoot pool about as good as I can hit a baseball.  Which is to say, I can't!  But the kids did pretty good.

We did manage to get away from the cabin for several little outings.  It was actually very cold while we were there.  High temperatures were in the 30s, and it finally warmed up to the low 40s on our last day.  I packed the warmest clothes we had, but they really weren't warm enough.  (And, yes, Mason owns pants.  He just refuses to wear them.  So the four pairs I took never even made it out of the suitcase.)
We spent the better part of two days exploring in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.   
A lot of the higher elevations were closed, as there was still a lot of ice up there.  So we didn't get to go to Clingman's Dome.  And our clothes weren't warm enough for long hikes. Besides, we learned a couple of summers ago that one of us does NOT enjoy hiking.  We hiked the super short trail to Cataract Falls.


And this is what happens when Louisiana kids spy the remnants of icy snow along the roadway.  They want to get out and throw it at each other.

Since the walk to Cataract Falls went so well, we decided to do a longer hike to Laurel Falls.

And, again, the Louisiana kids are fascinated by the frozen water dropping along the side of the mountain. 
We took the drive through Cade's Cove and visited all of the landmarks and buildings.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous while we were there.  It was just cold.
When in Gatlinburg, well, you might as well take in a dinner show.  Right?  I've been to Gatlinburg several times, but I'd never been to a show.  That's not really my thing.  Broadway, yes.  But this?  No.  However, I thought it would be a fun experience.  And it really was very entertaining.  I think the comments from my people were as entertaining as the show itself!  Seth was quick to surmise that we were "out of place here."  He didn't much care for the "holding room," as he called it, which was just reminiscent of a big ole church fellowship hall with rows and rows of tables for everyone to sit.  A cutesy little band came out for some pre-show entertainment.  And it was at that moment that I realized my children have no idea who Dolly Parton is!  At that point, I wasn't even going to explain either.
My first thought upon entering the arena was that I was about to eat a meal in a place that smelled like manure.  Now that's appetizing.  So when we went in and sat down, well, I think Ellie's face says it all.  She just couldn't deal.  She didn't understand what we were doing and why we were there and why the plates and bowls looked like they did.
I knew before-hand what the meal would be.  But what I didn't know was that there would be no utensils.  None.  Not even a spoon for your soup.  You just picked that bowl up by the handle and drank it.  And then they came around with the chicken.  Whole chickens.  Per person.  And plopped it down on your plate.
Ellie was fit to be tied!  She could hardly stand it.  She just couldn't believe there wasn't a fork (I mean, how many times at home have I had to "gently remind" her that she's not living in a barn, and she needs to use her fork to eat with?  Wouldn't all kids love to have an excuse to not use utensils?!  Not my kids, apparently.).
And here she is when she realizes this really is her supper!
Corn on the cob and half of a very baked potato rounded out the meal.  I have to admit though, it was hard to deal with the no utensils thing.  And I actually had a fork!  I had submitted my request for the "vegetarian option" when I made the reservations so my meal was pasta with a few veggies.  And a fork.

And then the show started.  It was entertaining.  It really was. 
Oh, and then there was this.  I really thought they'd spend more time in the hot tub, but they didn't (I don't do hot tubs either).  They really didn't let it warm up enough before getting in.  And getting out wasn't very fun because it was so cold.
After a few days in the Gatlinburg area, we headed to Asheville for a tour of the mansion.  I was really looking forward to this because (I can't even believe it!) I'd never been.  
This was actually her idea.  When she made her birthday list last year, she asked for a trip to the Biltmore House.  She recently read the popular Serafina book series, which is set at Biltmore.

We took the self-guided audio tour, complete with ear buds and the buttons you press each time you get to a new room.  It really was a great tour, and we (most of us) enjoyed it.  Hannah Kate told me before we started that she hoped we'd get to go in the basement because that's where most of the Serafina books were set.  I told her that I wasn't sure which areas of the house were included in the tour, and I didn't know if we'd see the basement or not.  Needless to say, we were both surprised and excited when we got to the basement corridor.
Again, it was the close of winter so most all of the landscaping was still barren. But the fields of tulips were just peeking through the soil with the promise of spring.  I'd love to go back when spring has sprung, as I can't even imagine how truly beautiful it is "in person" (I've seen all the pictures).
The plants in the conservator were stunning!  I thought of Cindy as we walked through there.


When we left Asheville, we took the long way through Hollonville and spent the night at my parents'.  Rob, Kristi and the boys came over and ate supper with us.  And, of course, I took absolutely not even the first picture!

It really was such a nice, quiet, relaxing week.