For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Well.  This is a great way to begin Mardi Gras break.  Actually, it could be worse.  It could be broken.  But it's not.
When Ellie came to meet me after gymnastics on Thursday even, she had a bag of ice on her elbow.  My very first thought?  This.


When she broke her elbow at the age of 20 months and required an overnight stay in the hospital and surgery the following morning, I just knew it wouldn't be the first.  And then when she wanted to be a gymnastics girl, I figured it was only a matter of time.  Oh, how I hope and pray not.  But when I saw her with that ice pack on her arm, I figured it was time.  Sigh.

It seems she lost her balance during some kind of back bend stunt and landed backwards with all of her weight on her right arm.  She was all teary-eyed on the way to the truck.  I was trying to figure out if I needed to head straight to the emergency room with her or not.  I decided not.  She had a very small range of motion in her elbow, and it was enough for me to wait until the next day.  Besides, this one can be very dramatic sometimes.  So we waited.

Ellie was very anxious at the mention of doctors and x-rays so the first thing she did Friday morning was show me how much she could bend her elbow.  Her range of motion was a bit better than the night before.  She'd even slept all the way through the night without waking up or being bothered with it so we stayed home.  As the day wore on, I noticed she was really favoring her right arm and wasn't using it at all.  Every once in awhile I'd hear her wince or notice her tense up.  By mid-afternoon I was getting more concerned (because what if?!?) so we headed to urgent care for x-rays.  Of course, it would be Friday afternoon on Mardi Gras weekend so traffic was horrendous.

She wanted me to come in with her for the x-rays so I did.  But, honestly, I couldn't even look at the screen on the machine.  I could. not. look.  After what seemed like forever, the PA came back into the exam room and told us there was no break, no fracture.  She likely had a sprain.  He told her to lay off the gymnastics for awhile and sent us home in a sling.
I really think I need a straight jacket for this child.  A friend of mine suggested bubble wrap!  She is proud of this sling, y'all.  A little too proud, if you ask me!  But you know what?  She's actually DISAPPOINTED that there isn't a cast under this sling!  I can't even!!