For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
It's been pretty well documented here how I feel about Valentine's Day.  It's quite possible my children are following in my footsteps.  Sigh.

This year Valentine's Day was on a Thursday.  Some Thursdays my sweet friend takes the children to school for me.  Otherwise I have to cross the bridge six times.  In one day.  Tracy took the children to school on Valentine's Day and called me as soon as she dropped them off.  She was laughing so hard that she could barely tell me the story.  Apparently, traffic was better than usual so they arrived at school a bit early.

Tracy:  Wow.  There are a lot of people dropping off early this morning.

Mason:  Yeah.

Tracy:  I guess 7:19 is the time to get here.

Mason:  Oh!  I know why.  It's Valentine's Day.

Tracy:  What does Valentine's Day have to do with dropping off early?

Mason:  All the parents are trying to get rid of their kids early.

Tracy:  They are?  Why?

Mason:  So, you know, they can do things.

Tracy:  Like what kind of things?

Mason:  You know.  All those weird things parents do.

Tracy:  What weird things?

Mason:  Like go out to eat and stuff.

Tracy:  Oh, really? 

And then at some point, Mason also proceeded to express his disdain for Valentine's, saying he hoped no one got him anything.

So, of course I had my own questions for them at pick up time.

Me:  So how was the ride with Mrs. Tracy this morning?

Mason:  Fine.

Me:  Y'all got to school early?

Mason:  Yes, Ma'am.

Me:  A lot of kids came early this morning?

Mason:  Yeah.

Me:  I wonder why?

Mason:  Because it's Valentine's Day!

Me:  Oh.  What does that have to do with anything?

Mason:  Because parents are trying to get rid of their kids so they can do things.

Me:  Do things?  Like what?

Mason:  Go out to eat for breakfast.  And then go shopping and buy stuff and go home and hide it so the kids won't find it.  And then eat lunch before they pick up their kids.

Me:  Oh, really?  Any other weird things parents do?

Ellie:  And they SMOOCH!

At this point, Hannah Kate is as red as a tomato, and Mason is having a conniption in the third row.  So I changed the subject.  Let's just say my Valentine's Day wasn't exactly like Mason described.  But Seth did come home with flowers.  
And he took me to eat supper at a new Asian-fusion restaurant that we'd been wanting to try.  Oh my, it was so good!  I love the ese's (as my brother-in-law calls it), particularly Vietnamese and Thai, but it's not something I eat often because we don't get to do "weird things" a lot.  I have to say I've never had a dish with the flavors like I had that night.  It was like a party in my mouth.  That's the best way I can describe it.  I researched the spices, and one of them is referred to as a "numbing" spice.  I couldn't put words to it while I was eating it, but I think that's exactly it.  It was such a delightful dish.  And the sushi was really good, too!  The next time we have opportunity for "weird things," that restaurant is at the top of my list!