For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
And, just like that, February is coming to a close.  It's not been a particularly exciting month.  It's been a hard month, one of those when you just have to constantly remind yourself, "Do the next thing.  Take the next step."  I hope to be more intentional in filling this little space here so I'm linking up with What's Up Wednesday to do a little catching up.
WHAT WE'RE EATING THIS WEEK
I enjoy being in my kitchen.  But my favorite kinds of meals to prepare and eat take longer than I have these days.  Just like my Momma did when I was a child, I cook for my family every night.  But right now it has to be something that's simple to prepare and quick to cook.  I don't particularly like those kinds, and last night was no exception.  We had pork chops pan fried in the skillet (I don't even eat pork chops!) and white beans and rice.  Right.  I still don't even understand white beans and rice.  That's definitely not anything I grew up with.  I'm fine with white beans.  I'm fine with rice.  Just not together. I mean, they're both . . . white.  But Seth declared this "the best meal he's had in awhile" (and I cook EVERYDAY, mind you) so it was a pretty big win, and it was easy.  Monday night we had jambalaya and green beans.  Serving rice two nights in a row is definitely out of character for me and pretty much a no-no (in my opinion), but it was easy, my people liked it and they were fed.  Tonight had to be a really quick meal so I made a cheesy chicken spaghetti over the weekend that I could just pop into the oven before dance.  Hamburgers will round out the week.  This menu is definitely not my style, but again, they ate!

WHAT I'M REMINISCING ABOUT
I've spent a lot of time thinking about when the children were younger, particularly Mason and Hannah Kate.  You know, the toddler and little kid days.  They seemed hard at the time.  And I'm sure they were.  I don't want to minimize that.  But it also seems like they were so much simpler.  I love watching young mothers with their babies and toddlers.  Goodness, it's just the sweetest thing!  

WHAT I'M LOVING
I got nothing for this one.

WHAT WE'VE BEEN UP TO
School work.  Dance.  School work.  Gymnastics.  School work.  Church.  School work.  Bible study.  School work.  School work.  School work . . . I think you get the point.  And baseball practice began this week.

WHAT I'M DREADING
Oh, this is an easy one!  It's almost time to "spring forward."  That is always my least favorite weekend of the year.  It takes me a week to recover!  It might be only an hour, but to tired Mommas, every single minute counts, especially those that involve sleep!

WHAT I'M WORKING ON
Well, I have a pretty big project I'm working on right now for the next couple of months.  I'm also looking ahead to the summer months and planning our calendar.

WHAT I'M EXCITED ABOUT
Before I came to Louisiana, I didn't realize Mardi Gras was "a thing."  But it is.  And it's also not my thing.  However, it necessitates a week off from schooling.  So I'm VERY excited that tomorrow at 12:31pm brings a much needed break.  And I'm even more excited that we'll have a change of scenery next week.  But I'm MOST excited about MY BIRTHDAY.  You should mark your calendar.  The last two years, Dairy Queen celebrated my birthday by giving away free ice cream on March 20.  Maybe they'll do that again this year?!

WHAT I'M WATCHING/READING
I'm currently reading Daring to Hope by Katie Davis Majors.  She moved to Uganda a little over ten years ago and adopted 13 daughters.  She wrote her first book, Kisses From Katie, chronicling God's call on her life to establish her home in Uganda and begin a ministry meeting the educational, physical and spiritual needs of children and families in her new home.  I read that one several years ago, and it has stuck with me.  Her newest book picks up where the other one left off.  She's now married and welcomed a son into her family.  It's been such an encouraging book to me, and Katie's story is truly inspiring.

I really don't watch television.  Unless it's football.  So, needless to say, I'm in television waste-land right now.  But we've been watching LSU basketball, and I'm sure there will be some baseball, too.

WHAT I'M LISTENING TO
I've loved listening to the playlists by Magnolia and Emily Ley lately.  I think my current favorite song is King of My Heart (Steffany Gretzinger).

WHAT I'M DOING THIS WEEKEND
Packing!

WHAT I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH
See above.  MY BIRTHDAY!

WHAT ELSE IS NEW?
You'll have to stay tuned for that one!