For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
This will be my 41st Christmas.  With each and every year, it just gets more and more exciting.  There's just something about this year in particular.  I'm not sure what.  I think the recent years of really trying to be intentional in the way we celebrate and live Advent with the children have completely transformed my perspective.

Earlier this week I walked into the family room to find all three of them just staring intently at the tree.
Even though we were about to head out the door to yet another evening of activities, they stopped for a few minutes.  It was such a beautiful moment.  I found myself marveling once again.

The lights.  Jesus is the Light of the World.

The tree.  The old rugged cross hewn out of a tree.

I just can't get over it.  To think that God so loved that He came.  That Baby was so tiny, so helpless.  And yet He was Savior and King.  I wonder what that night was like . . . that first Noel.


When I think upon Christmas,
words can't express how our Father in heaven
has sent us His best to be born in a manger,
the King in the hay, and creation will worship His Name.

When I think upon Jesus, the King of all days,
I can't help but respond with an offering of praise.
Like the wise men and shepherds, I'll follow Your light;
Like the angels I'll lift Your Name high.


Now I look back in reverence to that holy night.
For the God of the heavens had us on His mind.
Let us sing of His glory; Rejoice in His Name;
Oh Emmanuel with us always, and forever His kingdom will reign.

For the joy of the world You were born,
bringing peace to us all through the gift of Your love.
Now the darkest of ages are done, for the Savior of heaven has come.

That last line . . .

THE DARKEST OF AGES ARE DONE, FOR THE SAVIOR OF HEAVEN HAS COME.

That very night marked the fulfillment of all those Old Testament prophesies that were hundreds of years old.  The Messiah was here!  God in the flesh!  

I've tried and tried to imagine what it would've been like to have been there.  Mary and Joseph, the shepherds and angels.  They were there that holy night.  But was it really silent?  

Last year we went to a Christmas cantata at my friend's church.  It had been a very long time since I'd been to a Christmas program at another church because most of them are always on the same day as ours.  I can't remember the name of the song, but it was basically the angels' song.  It was a very intricate, powerful, even complicated arrangement, and that choir of nearly 75 voices strong filled the sanctuary in a way that made me realize that's a part I've missed all these years.  

And suddenly there was with the angel a MULTITUDE of the HEAVENLY HOST PRAISING GOD and saying:  "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men!"  ~Luke 2:13-14

I've always thought Hark! the Herald Angels Sing one of my favorite Christmas carols.  And it always brings to mind sweet little children dressed up in robes of white and feathered wings in those sweet Christmas programs.  But I can't even fathom the multitude in the sky that night giving praise and glory to God!  I can't even comprehend what that might sound like!  I'm pretty certain it was anything but silent!

And my goodness, it wasn't a time for silence anyway!  It had been over 400 years since the prophet Malachi.  Four hundred years of "silence" between the Old and New Testaments.  But that night . . . THE DARKEST OF AGES WERE DONE.  Not gone.  But DONE.  Because the SAVIOR HAS COME!

Advent.  To come.  We lit our 15th candle tonight.  He is coming.  We are waiting.  This year the waiting is so sweet, so good. 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  This is one of my most favorite times of the year for many, many reasons.  But mostly because it is such an easy time in which to tell others about Christ and the cross.  The entire season of Advent lends itself to such.  I'm teaching the young children's Sunday school class this year.  It's reminded me how much I love teaching God's Word to children.  A couple of Sundays ago I put a small Advent wreath in our class.
And we made advent wreaths with Hershey's kisses so they can count down every day until Christmas.  
It's my hope that they'll remember these little things . . .

The wreath in the shape of a circle, which has no beginning and no end and reminds us that God's love for us has no end and is forever . . .

The Christmas tree that reminds us of the cross of Christ . . .

The lights that remind us Jesus is the Light of the World . . .

The red poinsettias and bows that remind us of the blood of Christ . . .

The gifts that remind us of the Magi who came to worship . . . and Jesus is the greatest, best gift of all!

It's everywhere . . . He is everywhere . . . do you see Him?

The THRILL of HOPE, a weary world REJOICES.

Yes.  It's been such a weary season for me.  But this Advent has brought joy, peace and HOPE.  He is coming.  I am waiting . . . expectantly, joyfully waiting.  

And, just because, these are my favorite resources for celebrating Advent with my family.  My Momma gave me that book by Lisa Whelchel (Blair from The Facts of Life) after Mason was born.  The pages are nearly falling out.  I've used it over and over with my children, my Sunday school class, Bible study, even the choir!