For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Mommas, I'm about to make you feel REALLY good about yourselves!

Last Thursday we had Hannah Kate's 10th birthday party.  Yes, I know.  Last Thursday was May 3.  And, yes, I know.  Hannah Kate's birthday is December 4.  I know because I was there.  So, one day shy of 10 years and 5 months old, we had her birthday party!  I'm not even kidding.  

(See there!?  I know you are feeling AWESOME about your parenting skills now!  I mean, who does this?!  Clearly, I do.  You are welcome.)

We stopped doing kids' birthday parties a few years ago, opting for "experiences" instead.  We went to Disney again a couple of years ago.  Last year we took the kids to the Ark.  But since it was a milestone birthday for Hannah Kate, I told her she could have a party.  She wanted to have a painting party with her friends from her homeschool class.  But since December was so busy, and I couldn't really find a date that would work, I convinced her to wait until January for her party.

January came and went.  As did February, March and almost April.  It was around that time that Mason and Ellie started talking about their upcoming summer birthdays.  Mason is convinced that he should have a party since he'll be turning a teenager.  And Ellie is now old enough to realize that she doesn't remember at all the only two "real" birthday parties she had and is feeling a bit slighted in the whole ordeal.  So she's already got hers planned out.  She even gave me a handwritten list of the food she wants at her party.  With all the party planning going on, there was nothing for me to do but schedule my sweet Hannah Kate's party.

Trust me.  I felt as silly as it sounds sending out the invitations.  But you know what?  It was worth it.  And I'd do it again.  In May even.

Although, I'm certain December is laughing at me.  Because you know what's busier than December?  MAY.  And on the particular day we'd chosen for the party, I had to make THREE separate trips into Baton Rouge, Mason had a ballgame and I had a fellowship with the BSF children's leaders.  Welcome to my crazy!

So once the girls were finished with class last Thursday, we headed to the painting party place.  I picked up pizza on the way.  I must also mention that this is the first time ever I've had a party somewhere else instead of doing everything myself.  And you know what?  This was golden!  I mean, all I had to do was show up (with the pizza)!  I'm quite certain you won't see me doing anymore "Pinterest parties!"  Maybe.
Hannah Kate got to choose the painting.  I really thought she'd pick some kind of flamingo or even dancing design.  But she didn't.  She chose pink lemonade in a Mason jar.  You can see the "original" hanging on the wall behind the instructor.  I must say though that it made me giggle when I saw the girls' "not so pink" lemonade backgrounds.
It was so much fun watching the paintings come to life as the afternoon wore on. 
Hannah Kate has always loved to draw and paint.  She's constantly drawing pictures in her sketch pad.
And here are lots of pictures as the girls continued painting.








These girls are so sweet, so fun and so full of life.  I'm so very thankful for the little community that the Lord has given Hannah Kate.  My BFF growing up was, hands down, one of the biggest blessings in my life.  All of my growing up and school years include her, and I couldn't imagine doing life without her.  Besides my family, there is no memory from my childhood and teenage years that doesn't include her.  I've often prayed the same thing for Hannah Kate.

When I walked by Hannah Kate's painting after she was done, her paint plate caught my eye.  Hannah Kate is very quiet.  I usually know what she's feeling because she always wears her feelings on her sleeve.  But I don't always know what she's thinking, and, even when I ask, she doesn't always tell me.  Hannah Kate is a very constant, steady presence in my life.  She has been by my side through all the years of therapy and remediation and schooling with Mason.  She's not gotten a whole lot of me there because I've had to give so much to him.  And then came Ellie, the baby who needed constant attention and still requires a lot of my time and energy.  Meanwhile, Hannah Kate has been right beside me.  She's not really "gotten" a whole lot of me because she's just so easy.  As the middle child, she has always shared time with her older brother and her younger sister.  She never had me all to herself.  That grieves me at times.  But I see so clearly that she has been such a gift to me these past 10 years (and five months)!  I hope that one day she will understand and realize just what a gift she is!

Because she's not very outspoken, she often surprises people.  She surprises me sometimes!  I think this plate says it all.  She took three colors - red, white and yellow - and mixed and matched a rainbow of colors.  I never would've done that.  Had I painted that pink lemonade, it would look EXACTLY like the original painting.  I never would've explored with other colors.  As much as Hannah Kate is like me in many regards, here is where we are different.  She is strong, and she is brave.  She may be quiet, but she lives out loud.

And you know who else had fun?  This one right here. 
She was as excited, maybe even more, as Hannah Kate to paint.  And she loved being with the "big" girls.  I had decided ahead of time that I was going to just let Ellie go with it.  No matter what.  I wasn't going to "fix" anything or tell her how to do anything.  I did mix the pink for her, but that's really all I did.  She did everything else all by herself!
And she was so proud of herself!  She brought her painting home and promptly propped it up on the nightstand beside her bed.

And here are Hannah Kate and her friends and their masterpieces. 

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave