For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
My awesome brother and sweet sis-in-law made sure I was Rose Bowl game day ready today!


In case you missed it:

Oh my goodness.  WHAT A GAME!  I'm pretty sure I died a thousand times.  I mean, I can't even imagine what next Monday night will be like . . . at the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!  Because my Dawgs will be there!

We were sitting around the den at my parents' last Friday night, and the topic of football came up.  Seth told my brother that he's mellowed out when it comes to football, but I've gotten more intense.  Maybe.  Let's just say he missed a golden opportunity tonight.  I might've yelled at the TV, rolled off the couch onto the floor, buried my face in a blanket and curled up in the fetal position a few times.  Or a million times.  

Now, had that been him, you better believe I would've been taking video and film footage of the whole thing!  He missed it.  But he'll have another chance next Monday night.  Maybe that would be a good night for him to be out of town . . .  

So here are some of my favorite comments and texts:

Mason:  Mama, do you need me to move out of your way?

Seth to Mason:  Mama's gonna have a heart attack.

Friend via text:  The only Mayfield I like is ice cream.

My Oklahoma Friend when OK ran the trick play that sent Mayfield to the end zone for a touchdown:  I love Baker Mayfield!
To which I responded:  I love our true freshman that will hopefully be around another three years.
And then when Mayfield threw the interception, I texted:  Is it okay if I love Baker Mayfield, too?

And then this commentary with my friend at the latter end of the second quarter and then at the beginning of the third:

Let's just say that was the most exciting game I've seen in quite awhile.  I like them close because it's just so much more fun that way.  But coming out of a 17-point deficit and into two overtimes?  It was definitely a tremendous exercise in self control!

In other news, today was also the first day of 2018.  For the past several years, I've made black-eyed pea cakes with cranberry-red pepper salsa on New Year's Day.  This year I almost decided to change it up a bit and make hopping john.  But, at the last minute, I didn't.  So cakes it was, along with cabbage, homemade macaroni and cheese and made-from-scratch cornbread.  And my people had pork chops on their plates.  When I looked down at mine, I couldn't help but think that even my black-eyed pea cakes were hollering GO DAWGS today, too!


MawMaw Mac tells me every year that whatever it is I do on New Year's Day is what I'll be doing the rest of the year (she never washes laundry on New Year's Day!).  If that's the case, here's what I can expect in 2018:

I'll be doing lots of laundry.  (What else is new?)

I'll be in my kitchen a lot.  (Up next . . . chicken and dumplings!)

The Dawgs are gonna WIN.  (The National Championship game!)

I will not live to see my 40th birthday.  (Did I mention I died a thousand times during the game tonight?!)