For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
It's July.  I have such a love hate relationship with this month.  It's Mason's birthday, Ellie's birthday, my wedding anniversary.  VBS.  

It's also what I consider to be the last month of summer.  Even though we homeschool, we keep a fairly traditional schedule with the first and last day because that works for me and helps me stay organized.  It also helps me stay motivated.  But it means that our first day is towards the beginning of August.  So once school starts back, summer, as we know it, is over.

In the meantime, it's hot.  So hot.  Like surface-of-the-sun hot.  So there's really only one place to be.  It's even hot in the pool now.  92 degrees.
But that doesn't stop them.  Or their jumping contests.


It's still raining, too.  I mean, it rains nearly everyday and has for at least two months.  I saw earlier this evening that we've had 45 inches of rain since January and nearly 14 inches during the month of June alone.  So it was on one of those rainy days that I took the kids to see a movie.  And this time, I took them for the very first time to the remodeled theater with the recliners.  Don't judge.  We always go to the "regular" movie theater because they didn't know the difference.  Well, not so anymore!  But this was hilarious!  I mean, I think Ellie played with her seat the entire movie!  She had more fun with her recliner than she did watching the movie!  And Mason thinks he's going to have one of these at his house!  Well, the secret is out now so I guess it's no more cheap theater seating for these three!
The other day I was cooking supper, and Ellie came in the kitchen and said, "Look, Mom.  I can write my name in cursive now."  I owe this to big sister.  Hannah Kate is my biggest helper!
All of the rain really did a number on my garden this year, but I still had a small harvest.  The squash and zucchini played out early.  And I'm finally picking a few eggplant now.  But that's all I have left.
My kitchen (and grilling) game has been strong this month, too.  My two favorite meals of late (although the chicken burgers with Carolina sauce and ancho chili slaw we had last night had me wanting more!) were the blackened redfish with pineapple relish, coconut ginger rice (even the kids loved it!), caribbean black beans and mango and jicama salad with cilantro vinaigrette.  Yes!!  So. good!!!  Now, there was a lot of prep work involved in this meal, but it was totally worth it.  Just not something I can do every night . . . 
. . . and then the fish tacos (which are a regular staple around here) and grilled Mexican street corn. 
It was on this same day in July 12 years ago that I hardly slept a wink and then had to be up and ready to go at 3:00AM . . .