For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Well.  Here we are again.  Another new year.  2016.  

We weren't much for celebrating New Year's Eve when I was growing up.  As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that most New Year's Eves, I was in bed by 10:00.  But when I was in middle school, that changed.  We went to a Gaither and friends concert (I, for the life of me, can't remember now what it was called at the time!  Jubilate, maybe?) at the Omni (not the hotel but the old Omni Coliseum that was demolished in 1997 . . . we're taking it way back!) on New Year's Eve a few years in a row and stayed out (in DOWNTOWN ATLANTA, I might add) until midnight.  I thought I was in high cotton!  (Excuse the reference.  We're studying Eli Whitney and the invention of the cotton gin this week in history so I have cotton on my mind!).  So that was really the extent of my New Year's Eves growing up.

Anyway.

Seth and I have never done much to celebrate New Year's Eve either.  Last year we built a bonfire in the backyard for the kids and roasted hotdogs and s'mores and shot fireworks.  They've not forgotten that, and Mason began asking right after Christmas if we could have a bonfire again.  Well.  Our bonfire area in the backyard is currently a mud hole right now and is probably still under water a bit.  We've had so much rain, and the ground was so wet that all we could really do was pile up all of the leftover empty gift boxes and trash from Christmas in the driveway and put a match to it.  That worked well enough, and Seth roasted some s'mores for the kids.  He'd also taken them earlier in the day to get fireworks.  Let's just say that next time I will have to go with them.  I tried to explain that just because it's buy one get three free, you don't necessarily HAVE to get the extra three free.  Particularly when you end up with a ridiculous amount of bottle rockets that someone (Seth) insists on lighting up before getting to the "good" stuff.  I mean, just save them for next time!  I'll be just fine if I never see another bottle rocket or chaser or frog again.  But anyway.  It looks like we have a little New Year's Eve tradition on our hands now.

But you know what?  All of the s'mores making and firecracker popping began at 6:30, and everyone was back inside at 8:00 for baths.  By 9:15, this was my view.

So, yeah, New Year's Eve was really exciting around here.  Until about 9:00PM, at least.

I cooked my annual black-eyed pea cakes with cranberry relish for the new year.  I also roasted some cabbage "steaks."  Don't worry.  Seth and the children also had pork chops and macaroni and cheese on their plates!  This actually happened on New Year's Eve though.

Seth and I had plans for a date night on New Year's Day, and I knew we wouldn't eat two big meals in the same day.  So we ate our new year's meal on the eve instead (but we did eat black-eyed peas and cabbage again on New Year's Day at his mom's when we dropped the kids off, so that counts!).  They say that whatever you do on New Year's Day, you'll spend the rest of your year doing.  Well, if that's the case, I'm looking forward to a fabulous year of date days and nights with my husband!

Those two and half weeks of no school and Seth on vacation came to a very quick and sudden end yesterday.  We all got so spoiled having Daddy at home with us everyday for two whole weeks.  I thought it might be a little difficult getting back into our regular routine, but when I looked at the school calendar for this semester and starting counting my days and weeks, I got really excited.  Our last day of school will be May 4, and we'll have a week off for Mardi Gras and Easter.  Let's just say the countdown. is. on!

I enjoyed having my dining room back those last two weeks.  It was a dining room and not a school room.  But when I walked by today and saw this, I couldn't help but smile.  I'll see my dining room again on May 5!  And that's okay.  I really like the way it looks today.

And, so, it's a new year!  I have no idea what this year holds for us.  It was last year at this time that I knew something BIG was about to happen.  I just didn't know what it was. And now, here we are, halfway through our first year of homeschooling!  So whatever it brings, whatever surprises might be in store, I'm certain of only one thing.  We are ready!  Besides, I wouldn't want to do this life with anyone else but these people right here.  So.  Bring it on, 2016!