For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
There were lots of favorites this week.

Hannah Kate was a Platinum Scholar and Highest Achieving Student in 1st Grade.

Mason was a Silver Scholar and received the President's Education Award.

Last Day of School
But my most favorite this week?  The last day of school!  School is OVER.  For a little while, at least.  And now I have a 5th grader and a 2nd grader!  And this is how they feel about the last day of school:

A Wedding Invitation
I've played the piano in A LOT of weddings over the years.  The first wedding I played in was in 1995.  I have no idea how many weddings I've played for since then.  I really wish I would've kept a list.  Even now I know I can't remember them all.  I've played for people I know.  I've also played for people I don't know.  This week I was asked to play in another wedding.  But this was, hands down, the sweetest (literally and figuratively!) request I've ever had.  I've known this couple ever since I came to Louisiana in 1999.  They were kids at the time.  I taught them in VBS.  I helped them write English papers and complete college scholarship applications.  I saw them get baptized.  I've heard their parents fuss at them.  I've watched them grow up.  And now I have the honor of playing in their wedding.

Lunch Date
One of my dear friends is moving.  She's from South Carolina.  She came here 20 years ago when her husband was transferred for his job.  They always knew they would go back home, but they thought that wouldn't be until he retired.  They had a five year plan that included five more years here.  But that wasn't God's plan.  After 20 years, they are being transferred back to South Carolina, back home.  I met Elise at BSF.  She was Hannah Kate's leader our very first year.  She was Ellie's leader the first year she went.  And she is my friend.  She truly is a kindred spirit, and we have so much in common.  She is a lady of great faith, prayer and conviction.  She is a great friend.  And I will miss her SO. MUCH.  We met for one last lunch together this week before she moves.

Shining Bright
I know I've bragged on my children a lot this week.  But I'm not really bragging on them.  I'm bragging on God and His faithfulness to us.  Hannah Kate received one more award this week.  Her teacher gave each student a classroom award at their end-of-the-year party.  Hannah Kate received the Guiding Light award for "always thinking of others and showing them the way."  She said that Hannah Kate was always thinking of her classmates and how she could help them.  Any time someone needed help or had a question, Hannah Kate was always the one there for them.  She said Hannah Kate was one of the kindest, sweetest, most thoughtful students in class.  One of the many prayers I've prayed for my children as they go to school each day is that they would be a light to others and that they would shine bright for Jesus.  To me, that's really what Hannah Kate's teacher was saying.  That's really what this award was all about.  I'm so thankful for God's hand on my children and for the ways He has used them as His witness at their school.  Of all the awards Hannah Kate received, this one really means the most to me.   

Let your light so shine before men,
that they may see your good works
and glorify your Father in heaven.
~Matthew 5:16