For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Today we celebrated another birthday.  Seth's birthday is today.  And the celebration began at 3:30AM this morning as I was bathing Hannah Kate and washing her hair after she threw up while Seth was sitting in the bathroom with us.

This is the second day of school this week that Hannah Kate has missed.  I took her to the doctor on Monday because she was complaining of a headache and sore throat.  Since there had been a lot of sickness in Georgia when we were there last week, I decided to go ahead and take her.  The strep and flu tests both came back negative.  The only thing Dr. K could find was a slightly red throat.  So we just took it easy (not really) the rest of the day, and she went back to school on Tuesday.  She's really not been herself this week, but nor has she complained of any other symptoms.  I thought that perhaps the 3:30AM episode was just a fluke.  Seth said he'd heard her coughing so maybe that's what caused her to throw up.  She went back to bed until I woke her up for school.  She seemed fine.  She ate breakfast, got dressed and was excited to start her day.  It wasn't long before she lost her entire breakfast.

I already had her an appointment scheduled this morning for something else so we headed out to the pediatrician again.  Dr. S said her tonsils were really yucky, red, swollen and pussy.  Her glands are swollen, too.  So they did another strep test.  Yet again, this one came back negative.  Dr. S said she wasn't necessarily convinced and wanted to send it for further testing in the lab.  We should get the results of that tomorrow.

In the meantime, she still couldn't keep down just crackers for lunch so Dr. S gave her a prescription for Zofran, the wonder drug that made my last two pregnancies tolerable.  After taking that, she was finally able to make those crackers stay down.  She still isn't complaining of any other symptoms, not even a sore throat.  That's surprising to me considering how bad her throat looks.  So for now we're just waiting to see what the lab says tomorrow.

Obviously the day didn't go as I'd planned.  My original idea was to go out to eat for Seth's birthday and then go to Nottoway Plantation for their Christmas tree lighting.  Never mind that it was 80 degrees yesterday and 40 degrees today and raining.  So, needless to say, the only Christmas tree lighting we saw tonight was the one in our family room!

So today is my big love's birthday.  He's still thirty-something.  The only thing really that's changed is how much I love him.  Because that would be more and more with every passing day, especially while he's sitting up with me while I'm bathing a child in the middle of the night who is sick!  There is no one else I'd rather do life with than this man.  He is such a strong man, a great provider for our family and a super dad.  And he loves Jesus.

We had a little birthday celebration for this Daddy and his big girl while we were in Georgia next week, and we'll have another one with his family this Sunday after church.  I think he should be the one to blow out the candles on Sunday!