For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
On Thursday evening, Hannah Kate and I went to Kindergarten Orientation.  Several people have asked me how I feel about Hannah Kate going to Kindergarten.  Honestly, I really haven't had time to think about it because I've been so busy dealing with the school regarding Mason's situation.  Or maybe I've just really, on purpose, not thought about it!  But as I was driving to school on Thursday, I looked back at her in my rear view mirror.  And for the first time in a long time she seemed so little to me, like it really couldn't be possible that she's going to Kindergarten, and a lump formed in my throat that I had to quickly get rid of.

This girl has been so excited for such a long time about going to school.  She really wanted to go last year, but it wasn't her turn yet.  All she's been talking about this summer is her new backpack and lunchbox, her uniforms and her school tennis shoes.  We spent a lot of time during the summer completing a couple of Kindergarten workbooks, and she was none too happy when those workbooks were finished.  She loves writing and drawing and coloring.  She loves letters and letter sounds.  She really wanted me to teach her how to read before going to Kindergarten, but I told her we needed to at least have something left they could teach her at school!  She knows all of her letters and letter sounds and can write them.  She can write her name.  She can count to . . . close to 1,000.  She can read several simple sight words.  She can also do some simple addition.

She thought she was such a big girl when she went to school last Friday for her "kindergarten test."  The teacher told me she did an "awesome" job.  So I have no doubt that Hannah Kate is ready.  As for me, well, I'm sure I'll be a puddle on Monday morning, if not before!

When we arrived at school on Thursday, we walked down the Kindergarten hall (which, for some reason, seemed rather big and intimidating at the moment) until we found her classroom.  She quickly found her name on the board outside her room.
When we walked into the classroom, Mrs. Williams met us at the door.  She greeted Hannah Kate with a big smile and took her to find her cubby and her hook.  Then we walked around the classroom until Hannah Kate found her seat.  Here she is sitting at her desk, already ready to learn!
Mrs. Williams had a little treat bag with goldfish crackers for each student with a tag attached to it that read, "o-FISH-ally a Kindergartner!"  How cute!
Mrs. Williams reviewed classroom procedures and school procedures and then she encouraged the students to walk around the room and explore.  Hannah Kate quickly spotted the learning center with the play kitchen.  I suspect she'll be spending a lot of time there.  Here she is again at her desk.  She really didn't want to leave her desk.  I'm not sure if that was because she was being a bit shy (which is entirely very possible since she peeled the polish off of one of her fingernails while we were there!) or if she thought she was really going to get to "do school" that night.
And here she is with Mrs. Williams.
But Hannah Kate still calls her Ms. Alexander.  Ms. Alexander was Mason's Kindergarten teacher, but she got engaged when he was in Kindergarten and then married the following year.  She now she's Mrs. Williams!  Hannah Kate always said she wanted to be in Ms. Alexander's class, and we are so very excited that she is!  We can not wait to have another great year with Mrs. Alexander Williams!  But I think we're all going to have to get used to calling her Mrs. Williams.  Mason's year was her first year of teaching.  And she told me on Thursday night that this is the first time she's taught a sibling of one of her former students.  So I think it will be a special year for all of us.