For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
In Acts 3, we read the story of a crippled beggar who was healed.  Everyday at the temple gate was a man who could not walk, and he would beg money from those going into the temple.  This man was over 40 years old (Acts 4:22) and had been crippled from birth.  So I imagine he'd been begging daily at that temple gate for a lot of years!  But one day his life was forever changed.  That was the day that Peter and John showed up at the temple to pray.  And like he'd done everyday for many years from every person who walked through that gate, this man asked Peter and John for money.  They didn't have any.  But they had something far better!

Even though they didn't have any money to give him, they had the Lord Jesus Christ.  In the name of Jesus, they commanded him to get up and walk.  And he did!  They helped him up, and not only did he walk, but he went walking and jumping and praising God through the temple courts (Acts 3:8).  Can you imagine?!  I wonder what it must've felt like that first time as he took his first steps as a 40-something year old man.  How in the world did he know what to do?  Did he at first stumble and fall, much like a child learning to take his first steps?  It didn't go unnoticed by the crowd either.

While the beggar held on to Peter and John, all the people were ASTONISHED and came running to them in the place called Solomon's Colonnade.  When Peter saw this, he said to them: "Men of Israel, WHY DOES THIS SURPRISE YOU?  Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk? . . . By FAITH in the name of JESUS, this man whom you see and know was MADE STRONG.  It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has given this COMPLETE HEALING to him, as you can all see.  ~Acts 3:11 

In other words, Peter is saying (in my own words!):  Really?!?  Are you kidding me?!?  We're talking about Jesus here.  You know . . . the King of kings and Lord of lords.  The man you accused and handed over to be killed.  The man who, three days later, was ALIVE AGAIN, overcoming death, hell and the grave!  So, yeah, that Jesus healed the man before you today.  How could you even be surprised?!

And so I ask myself that same question today.  Why am I surprised?!

You see, I've been praying about something for quite awhile now.  Over two years now.  And, in recent days, it seemed like the Lord was going to answer that prayer, only not in the way I'd asked Him to or not in the way I wanted Him to.  As a matter of fact, it seemed like He was going to answer that prayer in the very way I DID NOT want Him to.  So I began to continue to pray, but my prayer was a little different:  Not what I want, Jesus. But what YOU want.  And please help me to embrace your plan in this thing.

Several weeks ago, I shared about our recent challenges with school, particularly reading.  As the days wore on, I knew that we could not continue as things were and that, perhaps, there was something else going on, another explanation.  We needed to do something different, whether that was a change in instruction, a change in school.  Something.  I continued to pray.  Actually, BEGGING would be a more appropriate word.  As as I prayed (or begged), the Lord began to answer.  He was answering all along.  But this time, it became so obvious.

And, I'll be honest, it scared me.  But He told me what to do.  The first step was a conversation with my sister-in-law.  The second and third steps were another meeting with Mason's teacher and a phone call to our pediatrician.  Today was the meeting with Mason's teacher.

I wish I could tell you, word for word, what happened at that meeting today, but I can't do that yet.  Take my word for it.  DIVINE APPOINTMENT.  I'd done my research as best I could.  And, armed with that, I met with Mrs. M.  After ten minutes, the conversation took a turn that I did not see coming at all.  Finally, for lack of a better term, the veil was lifted, and everything began to fall into place.  That was followed by another 45 minutes of conversation that left me wanting to walk and jump and praise God down the halls of the Iberville Math, Science and Arts Academy!  I could hardly stand it.  I could hardly wait to get home to tell Seth.  And when I did, the biggest grin came over his face.  Now.  I know none of this makes sense to you.  But this is all I'm saying.  I've been so . . . speechless . . . overjoyed . . . EXCITED . . . ever since I got home.  Because God showed up BIG today, and He is doing some really BIG things.  And, yet, WHY SHOULD I BE SURPRISED?!?

Never doubt God's plan for you!  Never doubt God's faithfulness!  He is a GOOD God, and He is an ON TIME God!  Do NOT be surprised when He answers your prayers in even BIGGER ways than you asked, even BIGGER ways than you ever could've thought of yourself!  THAT'S WHO HE IS!

GIVING THANKS | Day 13:  I'm so very thankful for Mason's teacher.  I prayed all summer long that the Lord would give us the teacher that would be best for Mason, and He did!  I'm so very thankful for answered prayer . . . God is faithful to hear us EVERY TIME we pray and to answer EVERY TIME, regardless of whether or not it's how we wanted Him to or when we wanted Him to.  I'm so very thankful for the people that God continues to put in my path to encourage me and to help us along this journey, particularly as we enter unchartered territory.

And so here's my most favorite boy in the whole wide world!  When I got home, Seth was helping him with homework.  I walked in behind him, and he turned around and gave me the biggest smile ever . . . only now that smile is missing another tooth!  Man, I love this kid!