Monday, June 25, 2012

Where have all the ankles gone?

A sweet friend of mine took me shopping on Saturday because she wanted to get a gift for Baby B.  We pretty much made a day of it.  And it really was a lot of fun.  We did a little more than shop for baby though.

I just couldn't help myself.  I had to try them on.  That was easier said than done.  It took nearly five minutes for me to get these shoes on my swollen, fluid-filled tootsies.
When my bestie saw this picture, she said they look like Barbie shoes.  Well, let me tell you . . . those ain't Barbie's ankles!

After I got home, I took Mason and Hannah Kate to a birthday party.  And this is what my feet and ankles looked like at the end of the day.  I couldn't even bend my toes!
And speaking of shoes . . . 

Something happened today that has never happened before.  Monday is my usual errand and grocery shopping day, which means I try to get everything done so I don't have to go back to town the rest of the week.  Sometimes this plan works, and sometimes it doesn't.  Yet again, I didn't sleep well last night, and I really wasn't feeling stellar this morning.  As a matter of fact, I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything, but that wasn't an option.  So after we had breakfast and got dressed, I told Mason and Hannah Kate to go get their shoes on and get in the truck.  I grabbed my water, and we were off.

We make it to our first stop, and I tell the kids to get out.  Hannah Kate then comments that she can't find her shoes.  That makes no sense.  You shouldn't have to "find" your shoes in a vehicle that's . . . well . . . clean.  I look back there, and I don't see them either.  The reason she couldn't find her shoes was because she didn't wear any!  I mean . . . seriously?!?  For a moment I just stood there.  I was mad.  Really, I was.  And I was trying to decide what to do.  My first inclination was to just leave her in the truck.  Of course, I didn't do that.  I mean, it was 100 degrees today.  I'm not kidding.  We tied the record.  I thought about buying her a cheap pair of flip flops, but we weren't at a store with flip flops.  Besides, as much as that girl loves shoes, a new pair of flip flops, no matter how cheap they were, would be a treat.  And I was in no mood to treat her.

So, to make a long story short, my errands didn't get done because I could only go to stores with buggies.  I was not about to let her walk around bare-footed.  And then I had to carry her from the truck to wherever a buggy was and heave her up in it.  Did I mention it was 100 degrees today?!  And I'm 36 1/2 weeks pregnant with a child who has quite possibly now topped 7 pounds?!  It was not a great day.  But I'm sure I'll eventually look back on it and laugh.  I'm just not there yet.

Tomorrow will be another doctor's appointment.  I really should just set up a tent at Woman's Hospital.  Of course, my ankles and I probably wouldn't fit in said tent right now anyway.

1 comment:

The Applings said...

Great post! I don't know how you carried HK in that heat - oh I felt your pain with that story. That has happened with Andrew a few times too. Here's to just a few more weeks of cankles - and then the real fun begins..."Bayham Party of 5!"