For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
20TWELVE.

Happy New Year!

When I look ahead to 2012, there's really only one thing that I think will define this year for us. The new baby. There will be a Presidential election, the summer Olympics. It's a leap year. And there might be a football game coming up on Monday night that will define the year for some, my husband included. But, as for me, I'm looking forward to July!

I didn't really make any new year's resolutions this year. I never do. Well, I used to. And they never lasted beyond January 23 or so. And then I'd start over the following year with the same ones. But, really, as a child of God, I don't need January 1 for a fresh start. God tells us in His Word that we have that daily.

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are NEW every morning; great is Your faithfulness. ~Lamentations 3:22-23

Now I won't say that I didn't reflect a little on 2011 and think about something I might want to do differently in 2012. And I did make a very short "bucket list" of things I would like to do this year. But I told MawMaw Mac (Seth's grandma) that I think I should just keep on keeping on doing what I'm doing. If I had to really pinpoint something, I'd say it would be in the area of our finances. After Mason was born and I was no longer working, I really kept us on a tight budget. I was very conscious about my spending habits and did everything I could to save a few pennies here and there. I don't do extreme couponing, mainly because we do not have any coupon-friendly grocery stores here, but I did clip and print coupons and tried not to pay full price for other items unless it was absolutely necessary. I also did a lot of comparison shopping for the best deal. Well, this past year, all of that somehow flew out the window. So this year I would like to be more conscientious about our spending habits.

I'm just glad I don't have to think about anything to do with exercising or physical fitness this time! I mean, I'm about to pack on the pounds (maybe), and there's really nothing I can do about that. Besides, I'll also have the luxury of losing nearly 20 or so of those pounds in one day! So I'd say that's a pretty good weight loss plan.

I am now TWELVE weeks pregnant. Next week will mark the beginning of the second trimester. I'm just hoping that one will go a little better than the first one has. I have had some better days this week, but today was especially difficult. I was curled up on the sofa near tears earlier this evening, but then I started thinking about this baby . . . and the way a newborn baby smells . . . and how soft newborn baby skin is to the touch . . . and the sounds of a baby suckling . . . and I just couldn't help but fill with joy. I almost even enjoyed the nausea. Almost. But, at this point, July can't get here fast enough!

It is absolutely fascinating to hear Mason and Hannah Kate talking about the baby, especially when they don't know I'm listening. It's also a lot of fun experiencing this pregnancy from their points of view. Earlier this week, Hannah Kate asked me if the "baby in my tummy is wearing clothes." I knew it was not going to be good as soon as she asked the question. So I told her no, that the baby will be naked until (s)he is born. She was horrified! She stated that we needed to get some clothes for the baby "right now." I told her that I've saved all of hers and Mason's baby clothes so the baby will have plenty of clothes to wear when (s)he is born, and she can help me dress the baby. She was satisfied with that answer, I think.

And, speaking of being curled up on the sofa . . . Hannah Kate told me earlier today that the sofa "smells like me" because that's where I am so much. I wasn't quite sure what to think about that, but I did ask her what I smell like. She, of course, didn't know. But she did at least say it's a good smell!

Next week I plan to share some of Hannah Kate's birthday party pictures, Christmas memories and a story about Mason's latest adventure.