For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
A friend of mine started a blog a few months back. She calls it Wonderful Wednesdays. Wednesday just happens to be the day of the week that she doesn't work, which means she spends all day with her precious toddler exploring the world through his eyes and catching up on various projects around the house. She'll also tell you that pretty much any day of the week can be wonderful with her little one. But most weeks, I think Wednesday is probably one of her favorite days, if not THE favorite.

I like Wednesdays, too. As a matter of fact, I look forward to Wednesdays. I could even go so far as to say I crave Wednesdays. One of the things I knew I had to do after we moved back to Louisiana was get involved in some kind of mom's fellowship group or Bible study or something. So once we finished building the house, got used to the daily school routine and Connor got a little older, I knew it was time. It was beyond time. So about mid-summer, I began praying about what to do, where to go. I wasn't sure if I wanted more of a fellowship-type group or more Bible study. I wasn't sure if I was looking more for encouragement and support from other moms or . . . Bible study. For some reason, I didn't think it possible or probable to find both. I'd nearly decided to join back up with a mom's organization that I was active in after Mason was born, but when I talked to a friend about it, I knew it wasn't what I was looking for right now. After much prayer, I knew I needed the Word. That was the over-riding longing in my heart. So I joined a Bible Study Fellowship International (BSF) group at a local church in Baton Rouge.

I knew a little about BSF but not much. I knew that if I was looking to be emersed in the Word, BSF would meet that need. And then I found out about their children's program. While mom or grandma is in Bible study, baby, toddler and preschooler are in graded Bible study classes, too. They study the same Bible stories we do so we can later talk with our children about what we are, in actuality, studying together. They also sing Jesus songs and eat snacks and play and have a short quiet time in which they are instructed to sit on their towel and talk to Jesus in their hearts for a few minutes. So while I'm feasting on the Word, Hannah Kate and Connor are, too. And little did I know that I would also make some new friends who have encouraged my socks off in the short time we've been together. Our BSF class meets every Wednesday morning so we are up and out early.

There are two regular teachers in each children's class, and the other BSF members are encouraged to volunteer as a helper every so often. Today was my day. And I was looking forward to it. I wasn't going to be in either Hannah Kate's or Connor's class, but I couldn't wait to see just how they do it with these children. So that was the plan for today.

Last night shortly before supper, Mason was complaining with a stomach ache. I didn't think too much about it. I just thought he was hungry. He ate most of his supper before doubling over and saying he couldn't eat anymore. So he laid on the sofa until bath time. He cried his way through that, but he didn't really have any problem playing the Wii afterwards so I didn't think too much of it. And then it was time for bed. And then the moaning and groaning and curling up in the fetal position ensued. I knew his stomach hurt, but I really didn't know why. And I certainly didn't know what to do for him. So I laid on the floor beside his bed and held his hand until he fell asleep. It didn't take long. And he slept just fine through the night so I figured the stomach ache was a distant memory.

When I woke him up this morning, he immediately began complaining about his stomach again. So now there are two thoughts going through my mind. I'm wondering if there really is something to this (APPENDICITIS, anyone?!?) or if it's another case of boy crying wolf. But the whole appendix thing was really weighing heavily on my mind. I fixed him a bowl of oatmeal and brought him to the table. At that point, we had a little heart-to-heart. I have to be honest and say it wasn't one of my more stellar mothering moments. I pretty much told him that if he didn't go to school, he would be going to the doctor and that something really better be wrong with his stomach. So then he says he wants to go to school. I fix his lunch, and he eats his oatmeal. But yall . . . he is the most pitiful looking thing ever. So we have another heart-to-heart.

I explain to him that it's really okay if he's sick. And it's really okay for him to miss school (even though he has a science test today). And I will certainly take him to the doctor if his stomach is bothering him that badly. At that point, I realize he has a fever. Something is definitely wrong. Now I'm really worrying about the appendix. I call the pediatrician as soon as the office opens, and we are on our way. I even grabbed his social security card and other documents. You know . . . just in case.

I have to be really honest again. I felt so bad (guilty?!) about not being able to fulfill my commitment to volunteer in the children's ministry at BSF this morning. I called the children's volunteer coordinator as early as I felt comfortable to, apologizing profusely. She was so sweet and reminded me how faithful God is in every situation. And here I was just yesterday praying that the Lord would fill me with joy in mothering, in parenting, in this season of my life . . . because sometimes it feels like my children are an interruption to my day, to all of the projects and to-do lists I have. And I needed forgiveness for that. Yet . . . the very next day, I struggled with the interruption that this caused in my Wednesday, the commitment that I was not able to keep. I was more concerned about the obligation I "backed out on" at the last minute than I was the blessing that is my son. Yes, that warranted more time in prayer with my Savior as I drove us to the doctor's office.

So once we are there and checked in and in an exam room, the nurse comes in. She's asking a lot of questions, and I'm recalling the events of the last 16 hours or so. Imagine my surprise when she asks Mason to open his mouth so she can swab his throat for a strep culture. Yes. His THROAT. I mean . . . we were there because of a STOMACH ache. She then explains that strep can manifest itself as a stomach ache in some children. Really?!? I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but really?!?

So several minutes later, Dr. K comes in the exam room and exclaims, "Mason, you have strep throat!" At that point, I look at him and ask him if his throat hurts. He looked at me with those big eyes . . . and didn't know what to say! I mean, I'd already chastised him earlier, telling him that he better be sick if we end up at the doctor's office. And he's sick. But it's not the body part that actually hurts that's the problem! A body part that isn't hurting is the problem! He was so confused. Dr. K also said he should not go to school tomorrow. And since Friday is a staff development day for teacher's, he won't have school on Friday either. Now I'll be honest. Besides the fact that my son has strep throat (this is our first experience with strep . . . and you'll be relieved to know that WebMD also confirmed the diagnosis and stomach ache as a symptom of strep), I'm doing a happy dance because we can all use a little break from school (except for the fact that he missed a test today and will miss three tests tomorrow). Because 1st grade in intense.

And then came the shot. He howled like I've never heard him howl before . . . I don't think he realized what was going on, what was about to happen and I didn't really want to tell him. And then Hannah Kate gets upset and starts crying, too! Poor Connor is just looking at all of us like he's stuck in the nut house. We have to stick around for 15 more minutes for observation. And then we go to Target to purchase new toothbrushes and an arsenal of Clorox products to hopefully contain and kill the germs and prevent the rest of us from getting sick.

As we were walking through the parking lot, Mason looked at me and said, "Mama, I promise I was telling the truth about my stomach. I promise." That sweet boy.

Later this afternoon as I was preparing supper, I was thinking. The moment we arrived at the doctor's office, I forgot all about the interruption to my Wednesday and what plans I originally had. None of that mattered in comparison to taking care of my boy. I also felt immediate gratitude towards my Savior . . . who didn't see me as an interruption to His life . . . but welcomed the interruption I was to His life . . . and gave up everything . . . life itself . . . for me. And you.

" . . . Jesus, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross . . . " ~Hebrews 12:2a

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross." ~Philippians 2:5-8