For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
I don't know about yall, but I think Franchesca did a fabulous job on my blog makeover! She was so sweet to work with.

Now if only I could have a makeover! I did finally get my hair trimmed last week. But it's at that VERY awkward stage of growing out so I'm afraid it didn't do very much for me. Besides, I think 1st grade is getting the best of me; I probably won't even have any hair left to worry about come next May because I'm ready to PULL IT ALL OUT.

Right now I am less than enthusiastic (that would be one of our vocabulary words this week. yes. enthusiastic. did I mention we're in 1st grade?!?) about anything to do with school, especially concessions and the sticker machine. I mean . . . who has a sticker machine at school?!? Because, let me tell you . . . my son thinks that's the greatest thing ever since McDonald's chicken nuggets. And yall know how I feel about Mc(nasty)Donalds. I heard tale of this machine a few weeks ago, but I thought I'd finally ignored it enough that it went away. But no. It was only broken. And now it's fixed. Lovely. That was the best part of Mason's day yesterday. He wanted "five" so he could get a sticker. Five what? Five monies. Five WHAT? Cents? Dollars? 'Cause I sure ain't gonna pay five dollars or even one dollar for a sticker. Five cents is a nickel. So all of a sudden when he woke up this morning, he had an epiphany. "A nickel, Mama. That's it. That's how much the stickers are." So I gave him a nickel, and he stuck it in his pocket. I was pretty sure a nickel wasn't going to get him a sticker, but who am I to argue?

The first thing I hear when he gets off the bus this afternoon (not I missed you or I love you or how are you) was, "I was wrong, Mama. It's two quarters. I need two quarters for the sticker machine. I was wrong. I made a mistake." That sweet boy. There's no way I'm not going to give him two quarters for that sticker machine tomorrow.

And don't even get me started on concessions. I really think concessions should be for sporting events and not for 1st graders who sit beside the kid that brings $4.00 to school and gets a pickel, two drinks AND a Milky Way. Because my child get $1.00 every Monday that is specifically to be used as popcorn money, and he chose to get beef jerky instead. He didn't even like the beef jerky! And the following week his "popcorn money" purchased a giant Milky Way. Yall know the only thing I saw of that was the wrapper. And then this week two jugs of some sort of calorie-laden, red number 5, sugar-and-all-the-other-stuff-I-can't-even-pronounce fruit punch. So I do NOT want to talk about concessions.

So there's really no purpose to this post other than to give a big "thank you" to Franchesca! And just one more thing . . .

I spent several days jotting down catchy phrases to title my blog. But I changed my mind about that and just added a subtitle. Jules. That would be what my closest peeps call me. So my blog is all about sharing life and love from my journey as a mother, a wife, a friend, a child of God. It's really a tribute to my family, my children . . . and a way for me to journal the things I later want to remember to tell Mason and Hannah Kate. And Jules is jewels, too . . . funny stories, anecdotes, maybe a small bit of wisdom here and there somewhere, something that might one day encourage someone else on their journey . . . so jewels from our journey.

Yes, this post is obviously full of such jewels. But don't give up on me just yet. I'm just getting started!