For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Today was the last day of kindergarten. I totally wasn't expecting it . . .

We spent all week . . . well, really the last several weeks . . . looking forward to the last day of school. It meant sleeping "late" and "lazy" days. So that's what was on my mind all week. Until last night. It hit me like a load of bricks. It's the LAST DAY of kindergarten. I didn't even bother going to bed at a decent hour because I knew what was going to happen. I tossed and turned all through the wee hours of the morning. It was worse than the night before the first day of school!

Mason and I woke up, ate breakfast, got dressed and walked down the driveway for the last time this school year. Of course, I just happened to have my camera with me! Mason wasn't digging it at 6:40am, but who can blame him?When Mason got on the bus, he turned around and looked at me.That's when it started . . . you know, that lump you get in your throat that starts burning. I knew I was in trouble. I just didn't know yet how much trouble. He got on the bus, I made my way back to the house and then it happened. I turned around and looked back. All I could see were the tail lights on the bus, and I lost it. In the middle of the driveway. It was rather . . . unexpected. I managed to pull it together, and the morning was underway. Connor arrived and the littlest ones ate breakfast. I cleaned the kitchen, dressed the babies and then we loaded up to go to school to spend the morning with Mason and his class.

We were listening to the radio, and the "morning crew" was talking about a marriage proposal on youtube that had generated millions of hits (I'm thinking to myself that this must be the video Mama emailed me the day before that I hadn't had time to look at yet and that I must do so when I get home) . . . how the guy created a movie trailer that his unsuspecting bride saw when she went to see a movie with friends. And then they played part of the audio portion of the video. That would be the second time I lost it. I also realized that I had neglected to apply waterproof mascera this morning . . .

Just really quick about the proposal . . . if you haven't already seen it (and I'm sure you probably have), you can check it out here. And I also have to say that this took place in Georgia not too far from where I grew up. AND one of my friends knows this guy who put the proposal together! When I looked at it on Friday, it had over 6 million hits. Now the number is over 11 million! But . . . whatever you do . . . just don't compare it to your own! :)

Back to school. When we entered the parking lot, I noticed Mason's class playing outside. So we joined them. And you can see who's the big dawg on the playground!By the time it was over with, there were at least 20 children crowded around Connor's stroller. One of the teachers finally shooed them away.

Hannah Kate thought she was hot stuff, too. She insisted on bringing her backpack and had even filled it with several of her favorite books. I ended up reading Silverlicious to a crowd of kindergarteners before it was over with.
And then it was time to go inside. Hannah Kate was such a big girl and insisted on doing everything that Mason's class did, even walking in line.When we got back to class, Ms. Alexander read Ms. Bindergarten Celebrates the Last Day of Kindergarten to everyone.And then Ms. Alexander gave awards to her class. She really wanted every child in her class to receive an award so she spent a lot of time creating a unique award for each child. She gave a little speech about each one and explained how each was special. So about three children into the "awards ceremony," I couldn't help myself. I totally lost it. Again. And it wasn't even Mason's turn yet! I knew I had to pull myself together before Mason's award because I didn't want to miss a thing. Unfortunately, my kleenex were back home . . . next to my waterproof mascera . . . so I grabbed some from the table behind me.

It was finally Mason's turn. And yall. I have never been a more proud Mama than at that moment. Mason received the Learning Words Award.Ms. Alexander explained that Mason was the best in the class at learning new words . . . he was the first to learn all of the sight words . . . and he was excited about learning new words and reading. This was such a huge accomplishment for him. Because it hasn't always been that way. It took awhile . . . a lot of creativity on Ms. Alexander's part . . . a lot of work at home. But he did it! If you would've told me at the beginning of the school year that Mason would graduate kindergarten knowing how to read simple words and simple books, I never would've believed you. But he can. And he does!You'll never believe it. But I didn't cry when Mason received his award!

However. The story doesn't end there.

After the awards were given, Ms. Alexander told her class that she had something very special to show them . . . something she was going to present to each parent. She then showed a DVD that she created with pictures from all of the activities and field trips and just day-to-day stuff in the classroom. She played some of their favorite songs in the background, songs like You Are the Sunshine of My Life. Yep. You guessed it. I lost it. Again. Only this time it was worse. Much worse. It wasn't even a pretty cry! It was one of those awful I'm-trying-really-hard-not-to-cry-and-not-to-let-you-know-that-I'm-really-crying-so-I'm-trying-to-preten-I'm-not-really-crying kinds of cries that just erupts with snorts and sobs and the whole shabang. I was a mess. And I was beginning to attract the attention of 20 graduating kindergarteners. And then Ms. Alexander came over, patted me on the back and asked if I needed anything. I couldn't even answer her! I did later apologize, by the way.

At that point, Hannah Kate kept trying to sit in my lap . . . but honestly, I just really wasn't paying much attention to her because I was trying to watch the video, and I was trying to stop crying. (Did I mention I'm blubbering even right now as I type this . . . at just the thought of that video?!? I mean . . . best gift EVER to this Mama!) It was then I realized that I wasn't the only one crying. Hannah Kate had huge tears in her eyes and on those rosy cheeks, and I could tell she was about to go bezerk. So I scooped her up and tried to explain that Mama was crying because she was happy for Mason, not sad. Yeah, that didn't go over too well with a three-year-old.

The both of us finally pulled it together in time to enjoy cupcakes. One of the other moms made cupcakes for everyone with their names on them.
And then the last day of school . . . was over. It was only a half day anyway. So we packed up, loaded up and headed out. Mason requested McDonald's for lunch. Let it be said right here and now that I do not do McDonald's. Just the mere thought of it makes me feel the need to begin a 30-day cleanse. But it was the last day of kindergarten. And my boy just received the Learning Words Award. So what's a Mama to do except go to McDonald's?

We're headed down the highway. And you'll never guess what happened next. Really, you won't. I saw blue flashing lights up ahead. And I knew immediately what it was. A funeral procession. So. I'll bet you CAN guess what transpired next. Did I mention my kleenex and waterproof mascera were AT HOME?!?

We made it to McDonald's. And everyone enjoyed their chicken nuggets.I have to confess. I ate a Big Mac. And I sort of enjoyed it. Until I started feeling like I needed a 30-day cleanse! Somehow, I managed not to cry through the sloppy greasiness of the whole thing. Maybe I should have though!

And Monday . . . well, Monday is kindergarten graduation. I've learned my lesson. I'll not forget the waterproof mascera. Or the kleenex.