For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
My favorite color is black. My bridesmaids' dresses were black. Most of my clothes are black. Nearly all of my shoes are black. And my purses are always black. You see, black goes with anything . . . no matter what the season or occasion . . . it never goes out of style.

Being a stay-at-home mom necessitates that we make wise spending choices. So that means my purchases of purses and fashionable handbags are limited. As a matter of fact, during the past four years, I've purchased only two purses. And both of those were black. The last one I bought was about a year and a half ago. It's more of a handbag. You know . . . the really big ones. Well, I hate it. I've always hated it. I carry very little in it, and I can never find what I'm looking for because it's buried so far down in the bottom. And then the thing just flops over because there isn't anything in it to hold it up. So I decided that today was the day for a new purse.

Of course, my eye was drawn to all of the black ones, and that's what I intended to get. Another black one. But . . . I found myself humming a little ditty . . . something to the tune of "Glory, glory to ole Georgia," . . . and my eyes began to wander to the RED ones. On a whim . . . I couldn't help myself . . . I picked up a red one and ran to the check-out counter before I changed my mind. After all, it's more of a cranberry red and can probably complement any outfit I'd choose to wear (after all, most of them are black anyway!) or add a pop of color where I need it (you know, to go along with the black). And it was on sale . . . 45% off! I walked away very pleased with my new purse.

My main objective today was to get tennis shoes for Mason and Hannah Kate. I already had Hannah Kate's t-strap keds, size 7. Mason was much harder! Having tried my luck at several stores thus far, I stopped in Dillard's. Well, I didn't find any tennis shoes for him. But I did pass right by the Polo rack. The SALE sign caught my eye so I stopped to browse through the Polo shirts. I was trying to find a decent color in his size, but they were already picked through. The only one left was gold, and the Polo emblem was purple. So I thought about it for a minute. I didn't care for it, but I knew my husband would like it. So I got it. It was on sale.

We had to through the men's section on the way out. And there it was . . . a Polo display with those knit shirts that my husbands likes to wear. He has all of the basic colors and then some. But we never purchase these unless they're on sale. This particular display had only one color - purple and gold. There were purple shirts with the emblem in gold and gold shirts with the emblem in purple. I thought about this for a minute. The purple shirt Seth currently has dons a green Polo emblem. He was always looking for a purple shirt with a gold emblem while we lived in Mississippi and at outlet malls, but, of course, there were none to be found. Now, this shirt was not on sale. But I knew how surprised he would be and how much he would love it. After all, I had my new red purse. And Mason had his new LSU polo. So I was inspired. I picked up with purple Polo shirt with the gold emblem on it and bought it for him.

As I left the mall, I realized that I had nothing for my Hannah Kate except those white Keds. She didn't need anything . . . but there wasn't a purchase for her like my red purse or Mason's gold Polo or Seth's purple Polo. My cell phone rang. It was Cindy. She asked if I'd been to the post office lately. I told her I hadn't been in three days. She said she sent me a package on Tuesday and that I absolutely HAD to have it by tomorrow . . . it's for Hannah Kate. She didn't tell me what it was, but I didn't even have to ask. I just knew it was something red! And sure enough . . . !!! Well, there was a little something purple and gold, too.

So I came home, changed purses and then laid out my purchases very carefully . . . still humming . . . Glory, glory to ole Georgia. G-E-O-R-G-I-A. After all, the Tigers are in Athens this weekend. Tomorrow. Between the Hedges. 2:30PM CST.