For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11

I was really looking forward to our third full day in South Dakota.  We spent most of it at Custer State Park.  The park is really a tale of opposites.  There are areas with rolling, grassy hills.  And there are other areas with craggy rocks.  I was hoping we would see some bison, but we did not.  There were lots of little prairie dogs scurrying around though.





We drove Needles Highway.  I might have thought I was going to lose my life a time or five.  I was also really glad it was Seth driving and not me.  It was a very narrow, very windy road leading into the Needles Eye Tunnel.  There are several of these man-made tunnels along the highway, and they are wide enough for only one vehicle at a time.  There are no stop lights or caution lights.  You are on your own.  You and everybody else that happens to be driving the highway that day.  If you look carefully, you can see Needles Eye Tunnel.

Finally it was our turn to drive through.  Actually, I'm not sure if it was really our turn or not.  We just went for it.



We finally reached Sylvan Lake.  My original plan was to rent a kayak and paddle board, but this was the busiest area of the whole trip, and there weren't any rentals available.  So we hiked around the lake and climbed a few rocks instead.






We drove through the Black Hills again on our way back to the hotel.
But first, a stop at the biggest candy store I have ever seen.  That saying, "a kid in a candy store," well . . . I think these pictures say it all.  I have never seen a kid as happy as candy makes her.  And it's not even the good kind of candy.  It's the junkiest, yuckiest kinds of candy ever!  Don't worry.  We don't keep candy in our house.  This was a treat because her birthday was the next day.  I also made her put back half of the junk in her basket before checking out.




The next day it was time to make our way back to Denver.  We made two stops before driving back down through Nebraska again.  The first was to the iconic Wall Drug Store.  Back in the day they would give travelers a free cup of ice water.  And trust me.  Those coming out of the Badlands were probably desperate for that cup of ice water.  But now it's a huge souvenir shop that just so happens to include a restaurant and a pharmacy.   
Speaking of the Badlands, that was our final destination.  We drove part of the loop before heading back to Denver.  I wish we'd have done a hike here, but my people were a bit grumpy by this time and thought all the rocks looked the same.  I beg to differ.  What if, just over the next rock or around the next curve, is the grandest, baddest view of them all?!  The diversity of the geography in our nation is just awe-inspiring to me.  







The drive back through Nebraska was a long, but interesting, one.  We drove through an Indian Reservation.  That was a very eye-opening experience.  We saw car art.  In the middle of nowhere.  In Nebraska.  My people were out of patience with photo ops so I didn't get a pic.  But it's called Carhenge, and it's a replica of England's Stonehenge.  Instead of stones, there are cars painted gray and standing on their bumpers.  After several hours of absolutely nothing, we come upon a huge office building.  In the middle of nowhere.  It was Cabela's corporate office.  In Nebraska.  Who knew?

The next morning we were up early to head to the airport.  I was anticipating long lines at check-in and security, but we walked right through.  The longest line was at Chick-fil-A.  So I took one for the team, and waited in line to get breakfast.

And then it was time to fly home.  We've already been talking about next year's trip.  I told Seth I think it's time we head east.  And maybe a city vacation.  But we'll see!