For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11

Our second full day in South Dakota was probably my favorite, even though a couple of stops that afternoon were my least favorite of the trip.  We started the day in the Spearfish area and spent the morning hiking to a couple of waterfalls in Spearfish Canyon.  The first waterfall we came to was Bridal Veil Falls.  This one is on the road leading into the canyon so there wasn't any hiking involved.

Our first hike was to Spearfish Falls.  It was a gorgeous hike and a gorgeous morning.  Yes, there was a chill in the air, and it was amazing!







There were some of the coolest trees and vegetation in this forest.  I was absolutely fascinated by these trees.
Our next hike was to Roughlock Falls.  The trail followed Little Spearfish Creek.  We saw lots of trout swimming in the creek.




I've honestly never met a waterfall I didn't fall in love with.  There's something so peaceful about the sound of crashing, rushing water to me.
We then hiked a little farther up to the upper observation deck.  That gave us a better view of the main waterfall that looks like it's tucked away in a grotto in the above pictures.




On our way back we stopped at the pond to watch the trout.


After we left Spearfish, we traveled north to the little town of Belle Fourche.  First of all, I was totally NOT expecting a town in the state of South Dakota to be named Belle Fourche.  I also was totally NOT expecting a town in the state of South Dakota to be the center of the United States!  But it is!  Belle Fourche is the geographical center of the 50 United States.


And, since we were in the area and this was likely our only trip to South Dakota, I told Seth we HAD to.  You can't go to South Dakota without going to Sturgis.  So we did.  We parked and walked a couple of blocks.  I looked at Seth and said, "I don't get it.  Why Sturgis?"  His response:  "Well, why not?"  I still don't get it.  But we came, and we saw.  And I don't need to see again.




From there we traveled to Deadwood.  I didn't realize Deadwood was so . . . alive with deadness.  It just wasn't at all what I expected.  We walked Main Street, and I was even more excited to leave Deadwood than I was Sturgis.


And that was our second day.