For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
To say our June was a lot different than what we originally planned is quite the understatement.  I'm sure everyone else shares the same sentiment.

June 2020 BC (before COVID-19) was quite busy:

Hannah Kate and Ellie were supposed to go to kids' camp.  It would've been Hannah Kate's last, as she ages out this year.  It would've been Ellie's very first time going to camp.  Seth was going to chaperone.

I was supposed to go to Chicago for a conference.

We also had VBS scheduled the week after Father's Day.

So, obviously, none of that happened.  Instead, our June looked something like this: 

My garden wasn't great this year, but I was just thankful to have one.  All of my plants were donated to me.  I think I picked ten squash.  The jalapeños did the best.  The tomatoes weren't plentiful, but they were enough to make a few BLTs and some salsa.  I just picked my first eggplant a couple of days ago.
It was an exciting day when my tomatoes finally started turning red!  (It's the small things in life . . .) 
I spent lots of time in the kitchen.  And, yes, that's a big bowl of pureed tomatoes.  I canned four quarts and several pints of salsa. 
I didn't plant any cucumbers this year because I knew my father-in-law planted enough to share.  So I spent an afternoon canning bread and butter pickles.   


The kids spent a lot of time in the kitchen, too.  The girls really enjoy baking chocolate chip cookies. They probably have Mimi's recipe memorized now.  Lately they've put their own spin on it, like adding peanut butter to the batter.  This particular day the kids made homemade pizzas.
We've also spent many afternoons at the pool. 



We celebrated Father's Day with the best daddy ever.  The kids made his card this year, and it was the cutest.

(No, the glasses aren't real.  She took an old pair of Little Mermaid sunglasses and popped the lenses out because she really wants to wear glasses.  She wears them constantly.  Because she's Ellie.) 
I spent a lot of time back porch sitting and studying.   It's too hot for that now.  But it was nice while it lasted.
I asked for a hummingbird feeder for Mother's Day.  It took awhile for the hummingbirds to find it, but they finally did.  I enjoyed watching this little guy every morning during my quiet time.  He's on his own for awhile.  Did I mention it is hotter than the surface of the sun, and my face sweats off every time I walk out the door?!
We hit another milestone this summer.  Hannah Kate has moved up to the youth group!  Again, that wasn't the celebration it would've been under different circumstances, but this was her first night walking in for youth.
And this one finally lost that tooth that had been dangling for two months!  For someone who just couldn't wait to loose her teeth, she sure is trying her hardest to hang on to them!  This is the second tooth she's lost.  I'm telling you . . . if the rest of them go like the first two did, she might or might NOT lose them all by the time she graduates!
And that, in all it's simplicity, was June.