For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
One of my absolute favorite days of the year was much, much different this year.  Instead of taking the big stage for her 9th dance recital, Hannah Kate took to our family room.  It wasn't what anyone wanted or imagined, but I did as much as I could to make it a special day for both Hannah Kate and Abbie.  As disappointed as we were, I have to think the dance instructors were even more disappointed than we were.  But one thing I can say is that they made the absolute best of a really hard situation.  They went above and beyond to make all of the dancers feel special, especially the Seniors and those celebrating dance milestones, such as five and ten years dancing.  I can't say enough about how much we appreciate the dance studio - Mrs. Lynn, Mrs. Jade, Ms. Jordan, Nanny and all of the instructors -  for their gracious, humble leadership and decision making.  I know they considered many different options and made a decision that was best for everyone even though I know it was not a decision they wanted to make.
The last two months, Hannah Kate's classes moved online to Zoom so she kept up with her classes and dances and instruction each week.  And then the recital, which was originally scheduled for the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend, just like it always is, was moved to a virtual recital.  To say that we will NEVER forget this particular recital is definitely an understatement.  This year's theme was "The Time is Now."

Hannah Kate NEVER complained.  I can only imagine how I would've felt if my piano recital was "canceled" after months and months of practicing and looking forward to it.  It wasn't that I wanted to walk up on stage in front of everyone and play a challenging piece in front of everyone.  Truth be told, I could not look at the audience at all (otherwise I would lose my lunch!).  It wasn't the performance.  It was just doing what I loved to do!  And dance, ballet in particular, is what Hannah Kate loves to do.  It's "her" thing.  She got a ballet barre for Christmas, and she practices with it daily.  In addition to her four recital dances, she also took a pre-pointe class this year.  She's hoping for pointe shoes one day.

Abbie came over, and we started the morning by watching the Studio welcome all the dancers and families and announce awards.
We then had a little reception for the girls with sausage balls, pinwheels, macarons, fresh fruit and strawberry lemonade.
Abbie and Hannah Kate both had purple costumes this year so they chose those for their picture together.

We moved all of the furniture out of the family room so they would have enough room to dance.  For each dance, they had a Zoom with their instructor and class and then all "danced together."  Hannah Kate's ballet dance, Little Time, was first.  The music was from The Nutcracker, and the girls were dolls.  Mrs. Katherine always does a phenomenal job choreographing her dances and teaching her students!  It's always so impressive when her classes take the stage, and there is never a doubt who the teacher is.  I love love LOVE watching her dances come together on the big stage, and I missed that so this year.  Hannah Kate met with her class, and then she danced.



Jazz was next.  The dance was A Time to Dream, and the music was Sweet Dreams.  Mrs. Jade always choreographs the most fun dances, and this was no exception!  We had a lot of fun watching this one, and I can only imagine how fun it would've been on the big stage.


And then came lyrical, Lovely Time.



Her final dance was another ballet, A Time in Paris.  This was the one we were most looking forward to, especially after we got her costume.  Paris has captivated my girls for several years now, and it's on their bucket list.  Hannah Kate was so looking forward to this performance.  Even though it wasn't what we imagined, it was beautiful nonetheless.

Another funny memory from this day . . . I took the fish off the wall.  But not the deer.

We also recorded each dance.  The Studio has contracted with a production company to take the recorded dances from each dancer and put them together in a grid format for us to have a video of the "complete" dance.  I am so excited about this and can't wait to see it!

Next year will be a big year for both of my dancers.  Hannah Kate will celebrate 10 years so she'll have the opportunity to take the stage for a solo.  Abbie will celebrate her Senior year and final recital.  I already can hardly wait!