For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Well.  I don't know how your first week back to school in 2020 is going, but we are clearly WINNING over here in the Bayham household.

Everyday Ellie writes sentences with a couple of her spelling words.  She is assigned two different words.  For each word, she writes an initial sentence with the word and then a related sentence that doesn't necessarily have to include the word.  On Tuesday, her two words were strange and trophy.  And, now, may I present to you Ellie's sentences.
I.  CANNOT.  EVEN.

I mean, yes, this is the girl who is constantly sneaking into the pantry to grab chips or crackers or popcorn.  She could eat garbage all afternoon and still eat a five course meal for supper.  This is the girl who leaves a trail everywhere she goes.  Case in point.  This was a few weeks back.  She brought her chair downstairs and made her a little nest.  Apparently she felt it necessary to have a box of Kleenex nearby, as well as her favorite pair of shoes and dirty socks.  I'm not sure why the brush is laying there, as she really doesn't like to brush her hair.  And I applaud the use of the coaster.  Only, she's not using it.  Notice her little blanket folded neatly over the back.  There was actually an empty goldfish cracker bag on the chair, but I was so frustrated I grabbed it and threw it in the trash before thinking to take this picture.
But seriously.  She's proud of herself for winning a trophy for eating the most bags of potato chips.

PROUD OF HERSELF.

Welp.  Life goals, I guess.

Who even comes up with that?!  I don't really know what this says other than the fact that she loves potato chips, and she has quite the imagination.  (I'm trying to look at this in the best light possible).  Yesterday she wrote about squirrels and fairies in her sentences.  It amazes me sometimes the things she comes up with.  And it's not stuff she's hearing from her big brother or sister either.  She reads a lot of books so I guess that contributes to her childhood fantasies.

And then.  AND THEN.  I come home from picking Hannah Kate up on Tuesday night and open the refrigerator to find this. 
There is a place for pudding cups in the frig.  BUT NOT RIGHT THERE.  And do you know how much that bothers me?!  Yes, it does.  I mean, what in the world is a dented up, suspect looking (because I think at one time it was distinct layers of chocolate and vanilla) cup of pudding doing right there?  I know immediately who put it there.  (No, not Ellie).  But I wasn't sure where it came from or why.

So the next day I ask Mason about it, and he proceeds to tell me that he WON it at youth group the night before.  Oh, really?  What kind of contest did you win?  A food eating contest.

A FOOD EATING CONTEST?!

YOU DON'T EVEN LIKE FOOD!  It must've been a junk food eating contest!  

(Chips, probably.)

So I asked him what he ate.  It was something along the lines of five crackers, a lemon, an orange and a cup of water.  And you won?  And you beat all the other kids?  Oh, stellar.

I mean, he's clearly very proud of his accomplishment.

And then, y'all   Oh, I can't even.

Wednesday night after supper he decides to eat suspect cup of pudding.  He opens it and immediately declares he can't eat it.  Why not?  

"It isn't any good," he tells me.

What's wrong with it?

"It says 'until 2021.'  This isn't good until next year!"

Mason.  That means it's good from NOW until 2021.

All the while he's mumbling under his breath as he chunks it in the trash can.

I.  CANNOT.  EVEN.

That pudding cup wasn't quite a trophy, I guess.  But he won.