For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
After a week of firsts and my alarm clock going off at dark thirty for the first time in a couple of months, I was so tired yesterday.  We all were.  But it was such a great first week.  So we celebrated with a board (or a tray, as Ellie calls it!) last night for supper.  
It was the first week of a new school year.  As a kid (and even a teenager), I always enjoyed school, and I always looked forward to going back.  I never "dreaded" the start of a new school year.  But, for some reason, I have always as a parent dreaded the start of a new school year.  I don't know why.  Okay, so maybe I do, but we won't go there.  It was a good first week.  Even though it's crazy busy, I'm glad to be back into a routine again.  Between schooling and extra curricular activities I'll have a lot less time to "get stuff done," but I thrive on a schedule, and I'm somehow more productive and get more done anyway!

Oh, and it's worth mentioning . . . Ellie complained on Tuesday that she didn't have enough homework, and she was hoping for some on Wednesday.  When I woke her up Wednesday morning, she opened one eye and looked at me and said, "Ugh.  I need a break from this."  Yes.  It's Wednesday.  Day three of one hundred and eighty or more.     

It was also Hannah Kate's first week of a new dance year.  The only thing missing from our schedule now is gymnastics.  That will be on Thursday nights and begins in a couple of weeks.  So, yes, that means we have activities three nights every week, but I'm just so grateful that we do not have dance and gym on the same day this year.  I would much rather just add a day than try to figure out how to get them to two different places on opposite sides of the river on the same day at the same time.
Everyone was glad to sleep a little later this morning.  We also had a treat today.  We got to keep this little hunk and his sister.  This girl was such a big helper today!
And this girl, too.  She loves holding babies.  She's probably my best helper of the three.  She's always excited to wash dishes or grab something for me or take something to someone or fold clothes or take out the garbage or water flowers.  She has a sweet servant's heart.

It was a good week.  Hannah Kate is sitting with me as I write this, and she said it was a long week.  I didn't really think so.  But that's probably because I know just how quickly we will be to the end of another school year, how quickly it will be that my oldest will no longer join us on the first day of school . . . and I wish it would slow down just a little bit.