For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
Last Monday I posted something on one of my social media pages.  I would typically post that same thing here, but the Lord continues to press my heart to do so.

Twice during the past six weeks I have played the piano for the funerals of young men . . . parents who have said unexpected earthly goodbyes to their sons. And now Dylan's parents will do the same.

I didn't know Dylan. But he was a Pirate. I'm a Pirate. He lived right across the street from my parents'. I know the halls of my alma mater are somber today, quiet even. My SIL and so many others on the crisis support team are there this morning counseling with those kids.... Teachers and students and the football team and cheerleaders . . . grieving. Parents, Darren and Shannon, mourning. I can't imagine. That's the same thing I said as I sat at the keys of the piano for those two funerals I recently played for.


But here's what I do know. I know Jesus. And in the midst of the deepest pain and grief and unanswerable questions, HE IS ENOUGH. He knows. He understands. God's Word tells us He is "a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief" (Isaiah 53:3). And HE IS OUR HOPE. Do you know HIM as your Lord and Savior? Do you know Him? Because that's all that matters.

"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." ~Romans 5:1-8

Prayer warriors, Dylan passed away last night (September 30) after injuries sustained during the football game Friday night. He was a junior. Please pray for his parents, Darren and Shannon, as well as the students, teachers, administration and community of the Pike County Pirates.