For the Journey


Any day spent with you is my favorite day. So today is my new favorite day. ~A.A. Milne

"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." ~Psalm 65:11
We're six weeks (or something like that) into the new school year.  I know we have so far and so long to go.  But I'm really enjoying our new schedule this year.  Don't get me wrong.  It's a busy one.  And by this time each week, I can hardly hold my head up because I am so tired.  Seth had to ask me the same question three times earlier tonight because I just couldn't function to even answer him.  But it's a good kind of tired (I think).  By Thursday night, we have had four days of school, two nights of dance, one night of gymnastics and two days of Bible study.  Some Thursdays alone I cross the bridge six times.  I know that means nothing to those of you who aren't familiar with where we live, but I would never want anyone to have to do that in the course of one day!  

I have to say, though, how sweet the Lord is.  When I was a girl, I LOVED bridges.  We didn't have a lot of bridges where I grew up.  So one of my most favorite things was crossing the long bridge every summer when we went to the beach.  It's the small things in life.  Or, in my case, bridges.  So a couple of weeks ago as I was crossing the bridge for the third time of what would eventually become six times in the same day, the Lord reminded me of how much I loved bridges as a kid and how I always wished I had more bridges to cross.  Instead of being frustrated with that bridge, it makes me laugh now.  Make no mistake.  God is perfectly holy and sovereign.  But, oh, I think He must like to smile, too, especially every time He sees His girl sitting on top of that bridge!

So, everybody's been asking . . . how is school? 

This girl.  I don't even know where to begin.  She loves 1st grade.  Absolutely loves it.
But you know what she loves more?  Mrs. Mitchell.  Yep.  Everything Mrs. Mitchell says is golden.  GOLDEN.  

I spent two years prompting Ellie to hold her pencil correctly.  I was constantly reminding her she wasn't holding her pencil correctly, all the while she is telling me her hand is too sore to hold her pencil correctly.  And besides, she "can't write like that."  Do you know how many times I've had to remind her to hold her pencil correctly since she walked through the door of Mrs. Mitchell's classroom?  None.  She'll never tell, but I have a feeling Mrs. Mitchell said something to her one day about her pencil grip.

As my MeMama would say, Ellie has been giving me "feedback" lately regarding her breakfast.  She refused to eat her eggs this morning.  Until I reminded her that Mrs. Mitchell sent that email last weekend encouraging parents to be sure their children eat a good breakfast.  Next thing I knew, she had a happy plate.

You know what I wish?  I wish I had a Mrs. Mitchell at my house.  I'll bet Ellie would get along a whole lot better with her big brother if Mrs. Mitchell were here.  Her room would probably stay a bit tidier, too.  Maybe Mrs. Mitchell can incorporate those topics into a lesson at school.  Oh, I kid.  Kind of.  (Not really.)  But seriously, though, I think all 1st graders should have a Mrs. Mitchell.  And the parents of 1st graders need to have a Mrs. Mitchell, too.  All it takes is, "Well, Ellie, you know what Mrs. Mitchell said . . ."  Yes, there is no shame in my game.  (But I feel certain that Mrs. Mitchell would, in fact, say that!  And Mrs. Mitchell really did send that email about eating a good breakfast!)

Oh, the stories I hear everyday when I pick Ellie up!  I mean, she is so excited about her morning in 1st grade that she can hardly catch her breath in between stories.  She talks non-stop the entire afternoon.  She constantly interrupts her brother and sister because, "Oh, and Mom, I forgot something . . ."  She wasn't too impressed with 1st grade to begin with because she didn't have homework.  But now that she has a little homework each day, things are looking up.  A couple of weeks ago, she jumped in the truck and, before the door closed, announced "Well, I don't have homework today."  I braced myself because I knew it was about to be the worst day ever.  But she quickly followed that up with, "But, Mom, I had my FIRST MATH TEST today so it's okay that I don't have homework."  Whew.  Crisis averted!  I thought I was the only one who got excited about math tests!

One of the favorite parts of her day is the cozy corner.  She loves choosing books from our little library at home to take to school to read.  But the thing she most loves (besides Mrs. Mitchell) is smelly spots!  When she came home the verst first day of school talking about how many smelly spots she got, I was like, "What in the world?!"  So she explained that Mrs. Mitchell has a stash of those scented chapsticks.  And she will rub a little spot of chapstick on Ellie's hand for whatever reason, and Ellie thinks it's the best thing ever!  Smelly spots really are good things!  She tells me everyday how many smelly spots she has.  I couldn't help myself . . . one day I called her smelly Ellie!  (Because, you know, it rhymes!)  But before I could hold my tongue, I said it in front of Mason.  So not cool!  Needless to say, I had to shut it down immediately.  And, I have to say, I've not heard Mason call her that (yet) so hopefully it won't come up again.  Although I still can't help but think it every time Ellie talks about her smelly spots!  (And when you see Ellie, please do not call her smelly Ellie!)

Last Thursday morning I had a meeting at school.  So I dropped them off like I always do and then I went back around and parked.  I didn't attend Promptus with them nor did I visit their classes.  I was, however, standing in the hallway when Ellie's class came around the corner.  She was the line leader.  And, let me tell you, when she saw me standing there, she didn't flinch.  Not even an eyelash.  There was absolutely no hint of recognition or acknowledgement towards me whatsoever!  NONE!  I didn't walk up to her or call her name (truly, I didn't want to embarrass her).  I smiled and gave her a little wave.  And what did I get in return?  She just stared right through me.  I was invisible.  Her class was outside when I left.  As soon as she turned her head and saw me, she snapped that neck around to the other side so quickly that it's a wonder her head didn't fall off!  And she refused to look in my direction again until she knew I was gone!  That night she was all curled up on top of me on the couch.  I told her that if she was going to ignore me at school, she couldn't curl up beside me at home.  She was all, "What are you talking about?"  When I reminded her that I saw her at school and that I knew she saw me and yet didn't even wave, she said, "I didn't see you at school."  And she was dead. serious.  

And then there's this girl. 
I don't know what to say about her either.  She's decided to do all of her schoolwork in her room this year.  She doesn't sit with us at the table anymore.  I miss her being there, but I do understand.  She's just like I was.  She's very independent with her schoolwork, and she prefers to work alone without the distractions of her brother and sister.  I can't blame her for that!  She also really doesn't want my help.  And that's okay, too, because I guess she doesn't really need it.  But last week she did ask me to help her with her music theory homework.  And then today she said, "I don't need your help with music this week."  Well, okay then.

And this dude . . . well, I'd say he's killing it in 8th grade right now! 
You know, he took a big leap last year.  Seventh grade was far and above anything else he'd ever done before.  (I mean, we read The Odyssey AND The Iliad!)  He was also introduced to two completely new subjects, including a foreign language.  It was just a hard year academically.  He did it so well, but it took A LOT.  I wasn't dreading 8th grade, but I just didn't know if I could maintain the level of effort it required last year to push him through.  But you know what?  That hasn't been the case this year at all!

I'm amazed at the growth I've seen in him (and I'm not just talking the fact that he's now taller than I am!  But you dare not tell him I said that!) the past few months.  We're currently reading The Aeneid.  I have to tell you, I think Virgil is our guy!  I struggled at times last year to grasp Homer, but we both seem to really get Virgil!  Mason has even successfully written a lot of short essays as we've read the book and most all on his own!  That's such a huge deal for him!  I really never thought he would be able to write a paper, or even a paragraph for that matter, without a whole lot of help and guidance from me, but he's doing it!

He's also taking more ownership of his work this year.  He's working more independently and not because I'm requiring him to but because he wants to!  I'm just so proud of him because I know how hard he has worked for so many years, and I can see it now . . . all of that hard work is paying off, and it shows in his grades and in the comments from his teachers.  He was pumped today because his art teacher (whom he also respects greatly) told him that his art work has really improved since last year.  This is the kid who was in occupational therapy in 2nd and 3rd grades because he had some small motor skills delays that I just didn't realize in time to get help with earlier.  His OT told me that it was probably too late to do much to correct and help his handwriting, but she gave it her best shot.  He really did make great strides in OT and even "graduated," but his handwriting still leaves much to be desired.  So art hasn't been the easiest thing for him, and he also feels like it's something he isn't good at.  Needless to say, Mr. L made his day today when he acknowledged his hard work and improvement in his artwork.

Again, I know we're only at the beginning of this school year.  But for the first time in quite a number of years, it's been such a good beginning.